Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, so I have become kind of bored with my compounds and have been getting itchy to build something new. I have decided to supercharge the cummins! I have been doing a lot of research from others that have done it already and it seems that the majority of the frame work is straightforward. I will use this thread to keep a little "how I did it" and to inform anyone of obstacles or tricks I encounter along the way.

My plan is to just "add" the SC and mount it above the valve covers. I will build an air box below it that routes into the air inlet pipe leading into the primary turbo.

A few obstacles that I will need to work out:
1. Longer belt, idler pulley to incorporate the SC.
2. Rerouting the upper coolant line to clear the longer belt.
3. Reworking the SC bypass diaphragm to hold the bypass closed until 15 psi is hit.
4. Build a one-way valve to incorporate into the intake tube.
5. Other odds and ends...

To start I purchased a used Eaton M112 that came off an 00-04 Lightning for $200. I plan on rebuilding the snout and stripping the rotors as the Teflon coating that came on these has begun to peel off. Otherwise the charger should be good to go after a fresh coat of paint! I may do some lite port and polishing. I have also heard of people blocking the adjacent slots to the main "triangle" port to gain some performance. Supposedly these are just to quiet the supercharger down kind of like the silencer rings on some stock turbos.

Any ways, here she is fresh out of the fedex box!

The last one has my handy dandy official Eaton MP112 mock up A.K.A. cardboard+paper towel roll+ ducktape= supercharger :thumbsup:

I will update as I go!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Looking forward to watching progress on this, I have a bunch of parts to install and one of them is the m112....

Reactions: LandTug1

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just ordered a snout rebuild kit for 70 bucks. Just gonna redo the snout bearings, strip the rotors, and give her a paint job then should be ready to start mocking up!:stirpot:

·
Ducati M.
6,700 Posts
This looks fun.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I still have a M112 from a failed supercharger project I had.....from what I was able to gather, the blower won't work without a big step-up in drive, in other words, driving it off of just the crank pulley won't spin it fast enough.

I think Crazy Carl drove his off the water pump until he just went with a bigger blower (Whipple)....

·
Premium Member
7,955 Posts
Mine was an MP90. It needed to be driven like 4:1, and the crank to snout pulley only gave like 2.7:1. so, I had to use 2 belts and a pulley mounted to the fan to up the ratio.
The 112 should be able to use the stock belt if the snout pulley is fairly small and you're not trying to get a lot out of it.
I have a pair of M90s that may find their way onto my 1st gen.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good to see some interested patrons! I wasn't aware that running it off the crank would pose an issue. I am glad that I went with the larger charger as I would like to see around 3-5 psi at idle and maybe 15 or so full tilt. Just enough to get the turbos rolling. IIRC the stock pulley on this charger is just over 3". I plan on starting here and if it doesn't produce the goods, scoot down to a 2.75 or 2.5" pulley. I am a bit worried about belt slip but think if I just tie an extra idler pulley into the mounting bracket for the SC it will give it more contact surface to bite into.

What happened to your SC project JQ? was it going on rust bucket?

Carl, a "pair" of 90's? I have seen this done poking around the internet and I bet that would work out pretty good!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Good on you for going outside the box. It's pretty cool but be prepared your fuel mileage and drivability will suffer. We did this back in mid 2000's at PDR and its not free power like a turbo. Biggest issue is the blower becomes a restriction and robs power driving the blower. Impressive off idle response but falls behind quickly compared to a turbo or twin turbo's as the power/rpm curve go up. I have the dyno sheet somewhere and will try posting it if I can.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Here is some side by side comparisons of before and after with same truck. 98 12v 5sp

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the post Nascar! I was aware that the supercharger would only be good for low end and rob more than it is worth in the top end. In order to circumvent this, the SC that I am installing has an integrated bypass valve that will equalize the pressure on both sides of the rotors essentially allowing the charger to "free spin" and minimize parasitic loss. The stock diaphragm was designed to close the bypass once rpms (vacuum) increased on the donor vehicle in order to prevent a laggy bottom end and poor drivability. I will be doing the opposite; rigging the bypass to open around 15 psi of boost so the SC can free spin when it is running out of steam and let the turbos do what they do. The turbos and SC will actually have separate intakes so the turbos will be able to draw as much air as needed without having to pull it through the SC. All my knowledge has been from asking questions and doing internet research and NOT from first experience so please take it with a grain of salt haha.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nascar, taking a closer look at the dyno info you provided, it looks like you had some sort of bypass as well. Is this the case? What SC were you running and was it tied in with compounds as well? The main reason I am doing this is to greatly increase bottom end and help with the between-shifts boost loss. Also was bored and needed a project lol.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I understand totally. You will see the old blower setup had a bypass too but the blower still becomes a restriction, as the boost air from the turbo/turbo's has to pass through the blower, even when bypassing. Unless you can configure a way around the blower completely when bypassing and not through the blower at all.

·
Registered
226 Posts
It was a Whipple. I tried attaching a pic but it says i'm over my allotted attachments?

·
Registered
226 Posts
The charts on the left is without blower, right with. It's pretty impressive how fast the power comes in but if I remember right, the owner of the truck said he lost close to 5mpg even cruising on hwy.
Send me a pm with your email and I'll send you a pic.

·
Premium Member
7,955 Posts
The way we set them up, the blower is its own stage, feeding the turbo(s). when the turbo(s) reach a point of flow beyond what the super can produce, Our bypass allows full flow to the turbo(s) so there is no restriction. This also allows the super to free wheel and cuts parasitic losses.
I have a dyno graph somewhere showing it.
ah, found it: https://www.facebook.com/1508866517...0886651737620/337903746369242/?type=3&theater

MPGs are no better with or w/o the blower.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I plan on setting it up as Carl described it. But thats comforting to know I am on the right track for low end. I worked out some formulas to estimate max pressure on my engine and it is not quite as expected looks like I will have to do some fancy pully work to get some good pressure out of it where I need it. If my math is correct with a 5.9l displacement, 1.12 l blower displacement, with a 2.5" upper pulley and 7" crank pulley, boost looks to be around 10 psi. Not sure how this references rpm or if it is just max boost possible.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just bought a new thermostat housing with a vertical outlet to reroute the coolant line. I wasn't aware that these housings are not integrated with the alternator bracket and come as two pieces. I was able to source the bracket from a later 5.9 engine.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I love this stuff! I have a question or rather an inquiry. Detroits go turbo into supercharger into head. What is the reason to go supercharger to turbo to head?

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.