Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get a new turbo soon and have narrowed my search down to a BD Super B single or special. I have a Smarty coming in the mail to stack on my Edge J/A and when I get the turbo I will get a set of BD 150 hp injectors. I've heard that the Single spools really fast but my top end EGT's might be to high. Contrary, I've also heard that the Special keeps things cool and makes more power but it might be a bit laggy. But I would think with two fueling boxes and 150's would be enough to spool it:confused013: am I right? Which one do you guys think :thumbsup:

·
Got P7100?
6,673 Posts
with 150s i wouldnt go with either of those chargers, id get a 62mm turbo. jmo

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
with 150s i wouldnt go with either of those chargers, id get a 62mm turbo. jmo
could you tell me some info on this style turbo and why I should get it

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
I agree the Super B Special would be a little large and very laggy with your set-up. A 62/65 would be a good choice.

·
Got P7100?
6,673 Posts
its a s300 based turbo(style of turbo, the BD chargers are this style as well) and i would reccomend it in either a 62/71/14 or 62/65/14. The 71 will pull harder in the higher rpms but the 65 will spool faster.

·
Registered
359 Posts
i dont mind the special lag ... but it could b better. i would go with 200s and a special.

·
Banned
4,288 Posts
i dont mind the special lag ... but it could b better. i would go with 200s and a special.
Another vote for 200's and Special. If staying with 150's, a 62/71 would work, but I switched from a 62/71 to a special...same injectors, same box. I did 534hp with the 62/71, Special got me 611hp and still counting. I tow 18k with it & have no regrets.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have never run a special but I had a super b before I got my 62. 150s and a super b don't get along very well, esp with a stacked setup. I love my 62 but I could still use more air. I suggest the special...or just get twins.......

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
A lot of good input from you guys!!! makes me want to go out and get a job and start buying turbos...... actually it was 80 degrees today...... ok.. maybe after summer!! hahaha

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Another vote for 200's and Special. If staying with 150's, a 62/71 would work, but I switched from a 62/71 to a special...same injectors, same box. I did 534hp with the 62/71, Special got me 611hp and still counting. I tow 18k with it & have no regrets.
when does the 62/71 really come on? How is daily driving if you are easy on it through town - smoky and laggy? And what are the specs for the super b special..? That's what has me confused.

One more question if you might be able to know:

Could a 62/65/14 or s300 get me to the 500hp mark? Or would it not support enough air and get too hot trying to get to that? Thanks

Karl

·
Banned
4,288 Posts
when does the 62/71 really come on? How is daily driving if you are easy on it through town - smoky and laggy? And what are the specs for the super b special..? That's what has me confused.

Could a 62/65/14 or s300 get me to the 500hp mark? Or would it not support enough air and get too hot trying to get to that? Thanks

Karl
I was lighting the 62 at 1400rpm, this 64 lights about the same if not 50rpm later at most. Here is a few videos for you.

Here is the 62/71/14 lighting up, can barely see my tach in the vid. Really old video, runs much better now.:hehe: I had 150hp injectors at that time though.

Here is a video showing the Special. My truck started to hop, so I got completely off the fuel, then realized that I crossed the 75ft line. Watch how fast it lit back up.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts

Karl
The Super B special is a 64.5/71, just installed one for a customer and its a bit laggy with his 150's, HRVP44 and Edge Comp. He will be doing to a larger injector soon.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I think I am gonna run a special and 200s this summer. as long as i can still tow a 28ft camper without blacking out the road and keep my egt's reasonably cool it going to stay on there forever. Would i have to fire ring the head or do any kind of head work if I run the special and 200s with my quad, SO pump and headstuds?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Bump before bed

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well if a get the Performance Innovations transmission I'm wanting and a set of ARP head studs could I support a set of FBD 200's and a Special? Would my fuel mileage go down with that big of injector :confused013: . How would it drive on the street

·
Registered
123 Posts
its a s300 based turbo(style of turbo, the BD chargers are this style as well) and i would reccomend it in either a 62/71/14 or 62/65/14. The 71 will pull harder in the higher rpms but the 65 will spool faster.
so in this case would the 71 or the 65 be better with a stick 6speed? with 6x18 injectors "250hp", edge juice attitude hot unlock, monster pump,fass 150, dual disk, afe stage 2 intake, 4in exhaust, intake horn, grid heater delete and soon water meth. just trying to get a feel for it cause im running the special right now its the 62/71/14 and wondering if that turbo is good for this set up its running.

·
PA Diesel Fuel Mafia-Don
1,641 Posts
I see this is kind of an old thread but I just wanted to add that I ran the special and ddp 250's without studs or o-rings. I just gated the turbo to 40psi and never had any issues with it. I will say that 250's and the special with the edge j/a was a bit to much for me on the street because I was doing a 2 hour round trip commute to work through small towns where the cops were jerks. I had to run with the box turned off 90% of the time.

When I pulled with it (sled pulling) I could run the SO VP out of fuel going down the track at 3400rpm in 4th low or 2nd high. So don't think that a 64 with enough fuel isn't a nasty combo. If you want good street-able power your best bet is a 62/71/14 and 150's or a set of twins.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts