Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:lol3: i was just thinking... how kool would a sunroof be? anyone ever done it? how hard was it?

the reason i ask is i was thinking about power windows cause im getting a pretty clean 91 2x4 5speed with power windows and the pass side doesnt work, and the driver side is sloooooow. any suggestions? those motors aint cheap!

thanks!:$:

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I have to lube the slides on mine every year, it seems. That makes them wake up.

When they're running the way they should they could take your head off. They're faster than the power windows on anything else I've ever seen.

The safety "clutches" in the pump are the most common failure; three little vinyl cylinders that shear in case somebody's head gets stuck in the window. (I personally think that it'd take your head off anyways, but they put little safety cylinders in them.) Here's a guide to replacing those cylinders. That's what I've had to do in the past. I got six little OEM cylinders off eBay for a few dollars.

And here's a guide for replacing the brushes, which is something I haven't had to do before.

I've thought about putting a reverse-mounted sunroof in mine, since I have no air conditioning... And of course I'd put it on a actuator of some kind, so I could use it as an air brake...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to lube the slides on mine every year, it seems. That makes them wake up.

When they're running the way they should they could take your head off. They're faster than the power windows on anything else I've ever seen.

The safety "clutches" in the pump are the most common failure; three little vinyl cylinders that shear in case somebody's head gets stuck in the window. (I personally think that it'd take your head off anyways, but they put little safety cylinders in them.) Here's a guide to replacing those cylinders. That's what I've had to do in the past. I got six little OEM cylinders off eBay for a few dollars.

And here's a guide for replacing the brushes, which is something I haven't had to do before.

I've thought about putting a reverse-mounted sunroof in mine, since I have no air conditioning... And of course I'd put it on a actuator of some kind, so I could use it as an air brake...
i like the airbrake idea. my g/f has a thing for sunroofs. and ive always liekd them and wouldnt mind sutting a hole in the old roof. so i guess we'll see! haha.

about those side windows.... so, to diagnose those bad discs, will the motor run still and just not turn the gear? and lubing the track, how do i go about that and what type of lube are you using? thanks beg!

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
That's exactly what happens with the broken discs. The motor spins, but has no connection with the gear that drives the window.

I think the only thing I've lubed mine with has been white lithium dielectric grease... It's probably not the best stuff, but it works. Just makes a mess.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
factory sunroof!?!?! thats ludacris! haha

can i see a pic of that thing?

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you want you can just get some regulators out of a manual window truck- the doors accept either type- the holes and such are already in the pw doors...

·
Registered
345 Posts
factory sunroof!?!?! thats ludicrous! haha
Did you notice his signature? He's got a 2005 model.

A while back I needed a sunroof repaired and a body shop did the work. They also advertised adding sunroofs to vehicles without them.

Check with a body shop. Might cost you an arm and a leg but you can cut those off with your power windows after you get them fixed.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha. im going to get those little parts to fix the windows tomorrow.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
at advance auto parts?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
HELP! is a company (or brand of a company) that makes (or includes) hard to find parts that they sell for a premium... Almost every autoparts store out there has (a section of) an aisle full of little red blister packs with the word HELP! emblazoned on them. I don't know about Advance Auto, Kragen's/ Checker's and Autozone's have them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Did you notice his signature? He's got a 2005 model.

A while back I needed a sunroof repaired and a body shop did the work. They also advertised adding sunroofs to vehicles without them.

Check with a body shop. Might cost you an arm and a leg but you can cut those off with your power windows after you get them fixed.

For some reason I found this funny as heck and wanted to bump it for others to read.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thanks CrazyBowHunter. Glad to give you a laugh.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im going to bring this back. i have sense bought a new truck... anyone know where i can get info on converting from power to manual windows?

·
Registered
345 Posts
When I bought my truck, the previous owner converted it from manual crank to electric windows. He took the easy route by replacing the entire door. I don't know if he changed the under-dash wiring as well or if all trucks have the connectors for the electric windows.

·
Registered
655 Posts
yeah these windows will fly if they are in good working condition! ha ha one of my buddies asked me if the turbo was hooked up to the windows!:hehe::headbang:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok, well my drivers side window is having some toruble. it will go up and down sometimes. then just stops and doesnt make any noise. and if i beat on it some or pull/push open and down on the glass or even hit it a little, it will start to go up or down agaian.. sometimes only for a second... maybe it just needs a new motor?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I was given this great advise the other day to determine the problem...

Hit it with a hammer. If that doesn't fix it then you've got an electrical problem.
...hope that helps. :hehe:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts