Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all -
Anyone know when the switch to summer blend is taking place. Last few readings on my rig (hand calc) have been 16.7 and 17.1, wondering if my mods have done any good, or I'm simply calculating on summer fuel.

When is the actual switch, and does it vary by region??

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BUMP BUMP... Anybody??

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,644 Posts
ive noticed a small decrease in mgp, so was assuming that the summer blend was already coming out of the pumps.

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
no summer blend increases you mileage, because it doesn't have all the additives to stop it from gelling. It does very by region. It is hard to notice with my new truck because it runs the same on it or not. Where my old truck would run better and get better mpg's on summer diesel.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,644 Posts
hmm, i dont know then. i have been keeping my foot out of it quite a bit due to prices, so not sure what my issue is then. guess ill have to drive SLOWER !

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
In my area we went to summer blend the first week of March. BTW, depending on who makes your winter blend will depend on what kind of mpg you will see in the wintertime. Where I buy my winterized diesel at does not contain any #1 diesel or kerosene mixed in it. Also it has a minimum of 45 Cetane so I get better mpg then if I bough diesel some that is mixed with either #1 diesel or Kerosene. Mixed diesel will lower your fuels BTU output and thus give you lower mpg along with the longer warm up time that also lowers your over all mpg in the winter.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey all -
Anyone know when the switch to summer blend is taking place. Last few readings on my rig (hand calc) have been 16.7 and 17.1, wondering if my mods have done any good, or I'm simply calculating on summer fuel.

When is the actual switch, and does it vary by region??
In the northeast the summer blending began about two weeks ago.:thumbsup

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Yeah summer blend diesel is the second best liquid associated with the summer...number one is Sam Adams Summer Ale.

·
PA CHAPTER VP
348 Posts
We've got it and im getting about 2 mpg more

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
My last tank was the first time in 2 months burning summer blend that I got better mpg then I did on winter diesel.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I definitely notice a drop in winter mileage, almost 3-4 mpgs...

I'm sure some of it is due to longer idle times and cold weather on the motor, less highway driving etc., but it still seems worse than it should be... Last summer I was getting about 18 consistently hand calculated, and am hoping the new mods will get me close to the elusive 20 mark....:thumbsup

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Sciulli,

Not all winter fuel is mixed with either Kerosenes or #1 diesel.

·
Banned
2,613 Posts
our diesel is bad in the winter but hey they will do anything to make us pay huh... :lol3:

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Sciulli,

I have no idea what they use but the URL below is what info they do give out about there winter fuel. I can say when i use there fuel in the winter it gives me between 1.25-2 mpg better then #1 or Kerosene mixed fuel and most of the time its the same price as the 70/30 mixed fuel that Murphy USA has all winter.

Premium Diesel Fuels with extra power, reduced emissions, better mileage, greater lubricity, faster cold weather starts and performance, environmental friendliness and other benefits which exceed industry premium diesel specifications.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts