Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to you (THE DIESEL GOD'S), for information on picking a new turbo for me. I am looking at getting either a 62/71/14 or a 64/71/14.....I do some towing of my ski boat (5k max) and otherwise daily driven and some racing....

With my stocker I am at 1400* @45psi and 25k RP running 4.11 WILD, I am loading BETA 4.2 now and will see how we look tomorrow but I am expecting that I wont be able to keep it cool, and I know that my DP has got to really high!!!!

So please pass along any HELPFUL info you might have....Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
Your in the right Church...

The 3rd gens love the 13cm SS Exhaust Housing, it flows like the 14 for the EGT situation, but will spool like a 12.

We have local trucks tipping 500HP with just a smarty, 64/71-13ss, and fass fuel pump and staying in limits.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Here's another vote for the 64. I think you have the fuel for it and if you don't tow heavy you should be fine.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm loving my 64/71/13ss. Great all around turbo. I can't get over 1150EGT at 46psi right now. 520rwhp
You're pulling 520rwhp with just the Smarty, Fass, Turbo, and CP3? Wow, guess I know what my next upgrades are going to be. I'll be call you Wally when I get some cash together:peelout

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ended up ordering a SPS62, due to the potential for low speed surging with the 64....Thanks for the help!!!

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
Ended up ordering a SPS62, due to the potential for low speed surging with the 64....Thanks for the help!!!
Let us know how it works out for you..... The surging normally does not come from the compressor size, it tends to be a function of turbine housing. That is why I stress the SS Housing from HTT.

the SS housing from High Tech melts the two worlds of performance and daily driving together so to speak.... if you want responsible egt's and quick spool it's the Common Rail solution.

Again, let us know what your experience is.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let us know how it works out for you..... The surging normally does not come from the compressor size, it tends to be a function of turbine housing. That is why I stress the SS Housing from HTT.

the SS housing from High Tech melts the two worlds of performance and daily driving together so to speak.... if you want responsible egt's and quick spool it's the Common Rail solution.

Again, let us know what your experience is.
Will doo!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts