Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a cummins swap into a 1991 Chevy V3500
For the swap I bought a single owner 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins from Southeast Alaska. The frame rusted through; seat brackets completely rusted away, but mechanically was well taken care of with 130K.

My planned upgrades:

Advance timing to 18deg
Full forward AFC
Star wheel
Fuel plate
Mack Rack Plug
Killer Dowl Pin
Boost Elbow
4k Gov Springs
60lbs Valve springs
4” exhaust
Exhaust Brake (any suggestions on brand)
Exhaust Manifold (Stainless Diesel, Steed Speed, or DPS 3 Piece?)
Fast Fuel TS 140G
Suggestions on DVs?
Right now just trying to max out stock turbo but keeping it in mind that I will upgrading it in the future. I would prefer not to have to rebuy major parts that could be done now.

GM NV4500 (MW3)
South Bend Dodge input and bell housing
South Bend Dual Disc Clutch
NP205
Currently 4:10 gears
37” tires

Dakota Digital HDX
Gauges (Fuel, voltage, speed, tach, temp, oil pressure, boost, EGT, fuel pressure)

I will be a daily driver and play truck.
I will be pulling 9k-14k a fair amount.

Please make suggestions!
I do not have a huge budget but also want to do it right and not want to start upgrading right away

Has anyone set up the cruise control?
Anyone have information on using the cruise control for high idle? I saw to a long time ago but cannot find it now.

·
Registered
589 Posts
300-325hp would make a very managable, capable tow rig, in my opinion. I'd leave DV's and the FASS for now and pick up a set of 5x12's and maybe a 362sxe. Although not necessary, studs would be a good idea and possibly even AFC live if budget allows, this setup will make more power than 325hp however with afc tuning could be dialed back. If you're planning on bigger later, I'd do everything you said minus DV's and get PDD's mechanical lift pump rather than a FASS or equivalent.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Why do you suggest the PDD over fast? I have had a lot of people recommend fast but nothing about the PDD?
PDD's pump is belt driven, capable of more flow than youll ever need, and its duty cycle is well above anything the cummins will put out. Aka, itll last, its made in america and while electric lift pumps are fairly reliable, they still have their gremlins. But, not to step on any toes, its just my preference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PDD's pump is belt driven, capable of more flow than youll ever need, and its duty cycle is well above anything the cummins will put out. Aka, itll last, its made in america and while electric lift pumps are fairly reliable, they still have their gremlins. But, not to step on any toes, its just my preference.
Makes sense thank you. Any suggestion on exhaust manifold and exhaust brake?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Makes sense thank you. Any suggestion on exhaust manifold and exhaust brake?
If youre staying relatively mild, power wise, any 3 piece will do. Find the best price and buy one (pdd, dps, bd, etc.) Ive got a pacbrake eb on my truck and it works everytime the switch is pulled.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Best price manifold-

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Planning for this to mount a/c unless someone has a better option.
I have not been able to find High Mount AC brackets from 1995 F-800/Freghtliner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts