Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 cummin automatic. My problem is if I don't let the truck warm up for 5 minutes even if it is warm out I loss power all of a sudden to the point if I floor it nothing will happen. If I drop it down a gear it is fine again but will lose power again shortly. If I pull over put it nuetral and rev it up it will blow all kinds of white smoke. WTF.

·
Registered
752 Posts
that would be loss of fuel pressure my truck did this when the rear filter clogged before the fass pump when u rev it and white smoke comes out does it also miss if so its lack of fuel

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
If you have been here since October certainly (I did not want to call you surely :lol3:) you have gathered that the lift pumps for the 98.5-02's are notoriously bad. When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

If I were you I'd put a quality aftermarket lift pump (FASS, Airdog, etc.) Even if you decide to stay with OEM pumps you should install a fuel pressure gauge (or at least a low pressure light) on it. I'd quit driving it until I knew I had good pressure at the input to the VP44 I killed the injection pump. Low input pressure shortens its life (including catastrophically).

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
Check for error codes...
OBD II Error Codes

Then do a fuel pump diagnostic...
Lift Pump Diagnostics

But the white smoke is a sign of the VP44 is starting to fail... (Advancement piston problems) (Error Code P0216 might be present!)

You might read up on...
2 Cycle Oil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts