Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
This is my first visit to this forum, and I've made a post over on DTR, about the this problem so I hope I'm not being redundant.

I have an '04.5 3500 with 129k on the odometer. Last summer it developed an issue where it would experience a very sudden, but momentary, total loss of power; off then back on in less than a second. After reading about a problem this year vehicle had with a sensor wire shorting out on the high pressure A/C line I checked all the wires and re-taped them, but the problem persists. The CEL does NOT come on and no codes are presented.

I've changed the fuel filter twice, and even had a recommended TSB repair done on the transmission.

There may be a correlation with engine temperature. When the power interruption occurs it often seems to be just as, or right after, the temperature rises above 200 degrees and the fan has provided additional cooling. I say this only because right after the power interruption the temp guage falls back from just over 200 degrees to just below that temp.

I believe this is some type of fuel interruption problem, but have no idea what could be causing it. The motor still runs strong, though the mileage seems to have decreased over the last several months; more than I would have expected even with winter blend fuel. I'm probably going to replace the lift pump with an OEM model from Geno's; right now I just can't afford, nor justify, an in-tank or frame mounted lift pump.

I surely hope someone has knowledge of a similar issue and can provide a solution. Thanks for any and all replies. :banghead:

·
Registered
246 Posts
I dont have a leg to stand on here cause the only diesel I have is a 90 12 valve, but it almost sounds like a computer fail safe that has gone wrong. Like the computer wants to stop the truck from going any further so not to do any damage but then relizes everything is running fine and corrects itself.

Are you running any afermarket programers??

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm the 2nd owner of the truck, but to my knowledge the only modification is the Magnaflow dual exhaust system. I should have mentioned that I had the truck for over a year and more than 10k miles before the issue presented itself. Thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
I've had similar issues. This costs nothing and solved my problem.

Check/unplug/clean the hardness that goes to the injectors. There are 3 plugs each controlling 2 injectors. They are located to the right of the valve cover.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that's the kind of solution I'd like to have....CHEAP!! I'll do that; sure hope it works. Thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So did this help? :confused013:

I am having the same problem, and found this thread-sounds to good to be true, soon as I get some time, I am going to at least try this.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I disconnected the plugs to the injectors, sprayed WD-40 in them and scrubbed both sides of the connection with a small brush. I blew both sides out with compressed air and pushed a little dielectric grease into the female side of the connnection. It will be Tuesday before I get a chance to drive it far enough to get a decent test. It seems like it only stumbled at highway speeds and when the system called on the fan to reduce the temperature below 200*. The trouble with this problem is that it's difficult to know whether it's cured or not. A couple of times now it's gone for quite awhile with out the interruption and I thought it was fixed, only to have it pop up again. I'll write a post after I return Tuesday evening (maybe Wednesday morning).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey, sounds like you gave it the full treatment. Thanks for the info! Yep, your scenario sounds exactly like mine. I changed the fuel filter and ran through a couple tanks w/power kleen and thought the problem was gone, now it is back intermittantly. Definitely feels like fuel delivery. My truck starts fine, runs smooth, no smoke-hell I barely get a little black smoke when I romp on it. MPG is good too. The only other issue I am seeing (hearing) is a metallic knock (almost a tick really) on the passenger side of the motor(only when idling, after it warms up a little. I found a "timing" thread on the metallic knock so I'm going to look into that. I will try this injector plug cleaning hopefully this weekend, and update.

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well I cleaned and reseated all of the injection harness connections-no luck on mine.

Everything on mine looks to be pointing towards the lift pump, I need to get a guage on there asap.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Code:
Well I cleaned and reseated all of the injection harness connections-no luck on mine.

Everything on mine looks to be pointing towards the lift pump, I need to get a guage on there asap.
Hmmm. Sorry to hear that. I was hoping you'd have better news. :thud: I'll have about a 350 mile round trip on Tuesday. I'll post my results after my return. Good luck with the lift pump. Are you going with an aftermarket LP?

·
Banned
400 Posts
Dang IRS! Oops, sorry. Thought the topic of this thread was sudden "monetary" power loss. (presently no cash for mods, only income tax payment....:doh:) :hehe:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well...I found the problem, I believe...I feel a little stupid after this one. I have a BD power, Xpower tuner on my rig and the tuner module(box) is dead. It has long since been out of warranty. I was told the tuner and harness, even though plugged in, shouldnt hurt anything....I have wondered about this...I should have unplugged it immediately. I spoke with BD again and explained the situation, they told me to unplug it completely.

I unplugged the BD harness and reconnected my factory connections. The truck drives normal again:party018: Now,I have known the BD module was bad-no indicator light, no output what so ever. I want to make it clear I am not bashing BD-I will probably go with a new BD unit again, I have heard nothing but good about their products. But having the (dead) unit plugged in, obviously caused some erratic behavior on the engine. I should have pulled the unit the second I knew it was gone

It is good that this is all it was, but all of this made me aware...I am going to get a fuel pressure gauge on there ASAP as well.....way too many stories of bad lift pumps out there..........:thumbsup:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad you found your problem. I have no mods on my truck, other than the dual exhaust. Hopefully today's trip will give me an idea whether or not I've located the cause of my problem.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, cleaning the connectors wasn't my truck's problem, either. Today's drive narrowed down a few things. The sudden power loss ALWAYS happens when the temp rises above 200*, but it doesn't happen EVERY time the temp goes over 200*. I assume the system then calls for the fan to kick in or increase it's cooling function. At any rate, just as the power loss occurs, or right after, the temp falls below 200*. It's happened on a slight downhill grade without acceleration when the temp was above 200*. With a cool engine, and hard acceleration, I couldn't induce a power loss. From that I believe it is not a lift pump issue. At least not yet.

So, what in the cooling system could cause a fuel interruption? Forgive my ignorance here, but could it be the fan clutch? Maybe the ECM? (hope not) Would putting in a higher temperature thermostat at least get rid of the symptom even if it didn't cure the problem?

:banghead: Anyone got any more ideas? I'm about out of them and my hypertension doesn't need the stress.:hehe:

·
GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,249 Posts
what about the apps? did you reset it, it can get off and cause intermit power loss....

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's a good idea, I had a friend who's truck had some issue with the TPS/APPS, and it was an easy fix. You can reset it by removing all voltage, drain the cap, and do this pedal key procedure-I dont remember all the details...I'll see if I can find the procedure.

Has it thrown a code?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OOPS! Sorry, my bad. The APPS was checked when the repair shop looked at the tranny and replaced the govenor pressure solenoid. No, this thing has not thrown any codes during the whole process. We even had the mechanic riding in the truck with the scanner connected and it didn't register any codes when the interuption occurred.

Thanks for the responses. Keepem' coming!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've posted this situation on another forum, too, and a suggestion made there was the cam position sensor or the crank position sensor may be shorting out. Can anyone tell me where this (these) are and how to troubleshoot the sensor(s).

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did your truck throw any codes when the fan clutch failed? Just checking because I'm not getting any codes with this problem. That's part of why it's so hard to diagnose.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts