Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looking to install some subs in my 08 megacab but I'm confused about the install. Has anyone install some subs with the factory head unit with the infinity sub system? How do I run my RCAs? I've heard that you have to connect to the front speakers because of the infinity system, but I don't know. Anyone, Help.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Theres a factory amp you can run your rca cables into. It should be under the passanger seat.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just looked and the only thing under the passenger seat is the jack. Is there anywhere else it could be?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
PAC audio makes tha adaptors you need to do it right. They plug inline between the factory head unit and the infinity amp and tap into a full range signal to give you RCA outputs behind the dash

Products

If you want to keep the factory amplifier and add a sub amp the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th product (depending on vehicle) is what you need. If your looking to ditch the factory amp and go all aftermarket the first product on the page is what you need. Dont tap into speaker wires with a line out converter. Do it right and use the right product that doesnt require hacking the factory wiring

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Install

I agree. Although you will never get a good signal with Line-out-Converters. Money best spend on a used or new Head Unit....
PAC audio makes tha adaptors you need to do it right. They plug inline between the factory head unit and the infinity amp and tap into a full range signal to give you RCA outputs behind the dash

Products

If you want to keep the factory amplifier and add a sub amp the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th product (depending on vehicle) is what you need. If your looking to ditch the factory amp and go all aftermarket the first product on the page is what you need. Dont tap into speaker wires with a line out converter. Do it right and use the right product that doesnt require hacking the factory wiring

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, King. If I were to get one of these products then I plug the rca's into the PAC box and run it back to the amp behind the back seat? Also, is there any benefits to getting rid of the factory infinity amp and going all aftermarket?

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
amp,subs,etc...

If you need some help with deciding what to go with let me know. I have built several High, High end Cars,Trucks,Planes....

Jeff

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Thanks, King. If I were to get one of these products then I plug the rca's into the PAC box and run it back to the amp behind the back seat? Also, is there any benefits to getting rid of the factory infinity amp and going all aftermarket?
If you think the infinity sounds good but want some more low end, just add an amp and sub to the factory system. If you are going to replace the factory amp altogether, your getting into a full on system, as youll be replacing all the speakers as well. For what its worth, the only reason I didnt just buy a new head unit and replace everything from front to back is that I have Nav. if it wasnt for the nav, I would have replaced everything from front to back. Actually, I had everything including the head unit to put into my 07 quad before I traded it for my 06 mega. The same offer that was made by someone else in this thread stands with me as well. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I agree. Although you will never get a good signal with Line-out-Converters. Money best spend on a used or new Head Unit....
I agree completely. I have nav though, and dont want to go as deep as replacing that, because what i WANT (Nav with full active processing, EQ, TA, and crossovers) is way too expensive.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Get intouch with me tommorow and I will look at the schematics for that Infinity unit. We might be able to get into a low impedance line on the inside of that factory piece.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
do you guys know the pin outs for the factory amp (for the 8th channel(which is actually channel 7 not being used)) i want to hook my sub signal wires up to these liek the srt-10's do for there factory amp(seperate from speaker amp).. anyone played around with this at all???

·
Registered
373 Posts
I just did this in my mega cab (Added a sub/amp to the factory Infinity system). As far as "signal" goes with the line-out converter...it seems pretty dang strong to me. My little system can hit hard and clean.

You will need a 2-channel line-out converter.

Tie this into your front passenger speaker wires. They are blue/grey and blue/yellow and are in the bundle that run verticaly behind the passenger kick-panel...very easy to see/find.
Do not attempt to tie into the rear speakers. They do not get a good bass signal.

Run your RCA cables from the line-out converter to an external bass-boost knob (good to have for easy adjustment when going from one song to the next or one genre of music to another...ie rock to rap).

External (remote) bass-boost knob

Run another set of cables from the "out" of your bass-boost knob to your amplifier.
Wire up the amplifier and sub/subs like normal and enjoy.

Here's a picture of my little sub setup in my mega. Single 12" Kicker CVT (shallow mount) in a sealed box.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts