Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Laramie Sport,4x4,HO,LB, Dually, 4:10, AirSuspension,Tow Package,12 inch display
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had dealer rotate and balance tires and right inside now reads zero. I do not have time to take it back in leaving on a 1k mile FW trip. If that tire starts to loose pressure will I see a pressure rise on the outside tire since it will be carrying more weight. First Dually so I am clueless about that.

·
White Lightning
13,389 Posts
Just had dealer rotate and balance tires and right inside now reads zero. I do not have time to take it back in leaving on a 1k mile FW trip. If that tire starts to loose pressure will I see a pressure rise on the outside tire since it will be carrying more weight. First Dually so I am clueless about that.
How far have you driven it since the work was performed? What method was used when rotating? Aluminum wheels I presume?

·
Registered
2019 Laramie Sport,4x4,HO,LB, Dually, 4:10, AirSuspension,Tow Package,12 inch display
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How far have you driven it since the work was performed? What method was used when rotating? Aluminum wheels I presume?
I just picked it up and noticed it. Went back and dealer said it will reset in 5 miles. 25 miles home still zero.
And yes I know how to check pressures but when u add over 3k of pin weight I keep an eye on all my tires

·
White Lightning
13,389 Posts
Never answered my other questions.....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
White Lightning
13,389 Posts
Drove 25 home. They removed tires to rotate so something they did. Just wondering if other tire will show an increase in pressure if that one starts loosing air.
Well.....with aluminum wheels, they can be rotated side to side, no dismounting, remounting, or balancing required.

If the dealership did indeed remove the tires, and changed the positions of the tires without actually changing the wheel positions, I’ll go out on a limb and guess they’ve damaged a sensor whilst dismounting or remounting.

Can you post up a pic of the repair order?

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well.....with aluminum wheels, they can be rotated side to side, no dismounting, remounting, or balancing required.

If the dealership did indeed remove the tires, and changed the positions of the tires without actually changing the wheel positions, I’ll go out on a limb and guess they’ve damaged a sensor whilst dismounting or remounting.

Can you post up a pic of the repair order?
They said they could do either. I told them to remove tires from rims to rotate, rebalance and next time I would just swap side to side. They will fix just have to wait until after this trip. Do u know if the other tire will show an increase in PSI with the additional pin weight towing my 42 ft FW.
Tks
Rock

·
Registered
19,158 Posts
I told them to remove tires from rims to rotate, rebalance and next time I would just swap side to side.
Then Brockman is most likely correct, and they broke one sensor.

Meanwhile, I don't rotate mine at all (the aluminum wheels being one reason), and only switch the fronts side to side every now and then.
That's not because of being cheap, since I have a tire machine and a good balancer, but there just doesn't seem to be a need. Plus, I'm lazy, and have better things to do.

Oh, and I don't even gave to worry about breaking any sensors. My 3500 doesn't have any.

·
White Lightning
13,389 Posts
They said they could do either. I told them to remove tires from rims to rotate, rebalance and next time I would just swap side to side. They will fix just have to wait until after this trip. Do u know if the other tire will show an increase in PSI with the additional pin weight towing my 42 ft FW.
Tks
Rock
I’d go back at 7:00 am tomorrow morning and have them correct it.

Additionally......what was the rationale for removing the tires from the wheels for rotating purposes?

The tires will show the same pressure if they’re on the truck, on the truck with 3,000 lbs pin weight, or off the truck sitting in a beach chair.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’d go back at 7:00 am tomorrow morning and have them correct it.

Additionally......what was the rationale for removing the tires from the wheels for rotating purposes?

The tires will show the same pressure if they’re on the truck, on the truck with 3,000 lbs pin weight, or off the truck sitting in a beach chair.
I have had Dodge 3500’s since 2001 but this is first Dually. I just listened to dealer who said u cannot move a rear rim to front so we dismount tires and rotate tires around. Second rotation we just swap back wheels and front side to side. So now I know there is no need to dismount tires as u guys have said.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have had Dodge 3500’s since 2001 but this is first Dually. I just listened to dealer who said u cannot move a rear rim to front so we dismount tires and rotate tires around. Second rotation we just swap back wheels and front side to side. So now I know there is no need to dismount tires as u guys have said.
Was just informed by Ram Parts inside rear sensor is different and on National back order. Hopefully it comes in before my Aug Yellowstone/Glacier FW camping trip.

·
Registered
19,158 Posts
Yes, the sensors for the inside rears are different from the other four. You can probably find them on Amazon, eBay, etc.,
just don't buy the cheapest ones, but good aftermarket.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
9,788 Posts
or they rotated your spare tire in. Inners are steel, outers are aluminum, spare is steel. Steels can go in any corners, but aluminums can't I always did left to right on my duallies. way to much effort ot pop all the tires off and swap them on the rims , i'm not paying for that level of service.

·
Registered
19,158 Posts
Speaking of wheels, when's you next planned/unplanned trip to Seattle, Loki?

·
9,788 Posts
Not sure honestly. Might have something pop up, the last couple happened due to a customer needing something special right away, and paid me to drive across the state Might end up in portland soon though

·
Registered
19,158 Posts
Don't worry about it, Loki. This guy keeps bugging me about buying his wheels...that I wouldn't mind having, but definitely don't need.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't worry about it, Loki. This guy keeps bugging me about buying his wheels...that I wouldn't mind having, but definitely don't need.
Well now if this is not stupid. As u know before I left dealer told them zero psi inner right. Told to drive it and would reset in a few miles. Well after finding out no sensors in stock figured I get a club and do the thump check to hear the sound. Well appears I drove home from dealer with ZERO air in that tire. They damaged the stem. Now I am sitting at dealer waiting for new tire delievery and install. So now I know this being my first Dually u cannot tell by looking at inside tire if it even has any air unloaded. Drove nice and smooth home doing 70 mph. Filled tire to 70 and had 5 PSI when arrived at dealer. At least the sensor works.
And I know, should of checked pressure at the dealer but I listened to what they told me.

·
9,788 Posts
You can usually use your foot and apply pressure towards the tread to quickly and easily check for pressure on inside duals Stick your foot inside the wheel well and hold onto the bed rail and apply pressure

·
9,788 Posts
I'll let you know the next time i go over there, if i upgrade trailers i will likely end up going over there, around here they pop up more frequently at better prices on that side of the state anyways. So i could put the new trailer to the test and tie down those heavy tires for you on the back of it

1 - 20 of 50 Posts