Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i unplugged the egr today, and check engine light come on. been sitting around getting crazy ideas. my buddy did the egr delete and told me i could have his egr valve, would there be any possible way using this valve as a dummy (to trick ecm) and plugging it into my connector so engine light will go off yet the real egr is left unplugged????

·
Registered
630 Posts
Do you even have an EGR on that 05?:shock:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Never mind, I read your other post about where you also have a 07 6.7. I doubt you could trick the ECM by doing that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i unplugged the egr today, and check engine light come on. been sitting around getting crazy ideas. my buddy did the egr delete and told me i could have his egr valve, would there be any possible way using this valve as a dummy (to trick ecm) and plugging it into my connector so engine light will go off yet the real egr is left unplugged????
I would be willing to bet your truck will do the same as most do when you block the EGR and then try to plug the valve in and tie it out of the way, to attempt to be code free-
you will get a MAP sensor code & CEL, and also will get the Electronic Throttle Position lightning bolt, and your truck will surge or drive funny(also a see dealer or something like that message on the overhead). I did the deletes and tried this, and it would cruise down the road with a constant throttle, and all on its own the turbo would spool up and make double the boost, and you'd actually slightly loose speed. I unplugged mine, and all this went away, but stuck with the P0405 EGR code.

But it would be great if you'd try it and let us know! Then I'll unplug my dad's stock 6.7, and plug in my deleted EGR... if it works :confused013:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'll paraphrase what someone who knows more than I do told me, similar question:
The ECM controls the injection quantity and timing based on the assumption that the EGR is working; in other words it's based on a mixture of fresh air and EGR. If you pull the plug, it assumes the EGR isn't working, throws a code, and uses a different fuel map, designed for no EGR. If you fool it so there's no EGR but it thinks there is (no code) - then it won't run properly. Plus when it opens the EGR valve the ECM may close the throttle valve to help get even more EGR, if there isn't any EGR then the engine is really "starving" for air.

Reactions: Wiley75

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just bought a 2007 6.7 two weeks ago with an dge juice installed on it. It runs ok with the egr unplugged, but like crap with it plugged in. The edge juice deletes the codes on start up. The guys from edge said it should not make a difference. I am not sure what I should do about egr.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
you need to see if it has plugs or blocking plates in the EGR system. Sounds like the EGR has been blocked off and when you plug it in it is closing the fresh air valve off

Chris

·
Registered
242 Posts
i looked for the blocker plates, but did not see any. where would the blocker plates be?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'll paraphrase what someone who knows more than I do told me, similar question:
The ECM controls the injection quantity and timing based on the assumption that the EGR is working; in other words it's based on a mixture of fresh air and EGR. If you pull the plug, it assumes the EGR isn't working, throws a code, and uses a different fuel map, designed for no EGR. If you fool it so there's no EGR but it thinks there is (no code) - then it won't run properly. Plus when it opens the EGR valve the ECM may close the throttle valve to help get even more EGR, if there isn't any EGR then the engine is really "starving" for air.
I have run unplugged for about 3 weeks and I use the truck as a grocery getter daily driver. If the fuel map is changed it would be leaner as my milage went up 30% (3mpg) which also means more power, maybe more timing) and I doubt that would be done using a leaner mix.
Fred

·
Registered
242 Posts
i did not see any blocker plates under the erg valve. the dealer is trying to get in touch with the previous owner to find out if he did any other mods. should i just remove the edge juice? i am confused as to why i am having this problem.

·
Registered
478 Posts
jwhjr1971 Man I feel for ya.

You have no idea what the previous owner did to that truck.

I have been screwed by buying a truck that had an Edge J/A on it, seems you are getting the same royal treatment, but in my case it was a "Return to Stock" after mods, so at least you PO did not try to hide anything.

Your best bet no knowing what the PO did, it to start from the basics. Ge tthe truck back to as stock as possible, make sure it runs right, then start your mods, or else you will be building on a set of unknown issues.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
The previous owner may have pulled the EGR plunger. Take off the brown colored circular end of the EGR (four screws) and see if there is a plunger in there that operates like the level wind on a fishing reel. The plunger end in the brown part (EGR Motor) works like a screw. It moves the valving in the main body in a linear fashion. You will see a spring loaded end in the main body. Without pushing on the spring retainer, see if you can move the valve manually by pushing on the end of that rod. Use a small socket to keep whatever you are pushing with centered on the rod only. While you are at it clean the MAP sensor. Many posts on here about how to do that.

Good luck.

·
Registered
242 Posts
i finally got in touch with the previous owner. he did install egr blocker plates as well as the edge juice. i am going to remove the plates and see how it runs with just the edge juice.

·
Registered
98 Posts
why not just leave the egr unplugged and the plates in place?

·
Registered
242 Posts
i need to have some recall work taken care fof. besides that, it was running rough on start up and sometimes during acceleration. it seems to be running better already. i am going to try this for a little while and see what happens.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Can a dealer always find out the truck has been used with the EGR unplugged?

Also, how can you get rid of the code without using a chip/programmer (which can be traced by the dealer, I think)

I would like to unplug it for mileage but do not need more power (yet) but hate any lights or messages.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts