Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to fire up the ole 04 nothing happened, setup a charge after an hour it fired right up but my Egde CTS was showing 18.7, went out to check each battery and found the right battery was getting 18.7 but the left was only getting 9.4. Took the alternator to the big box store and it passed, twice. Wasn't satisfied went to there competition same passing grade. Not sure wth, have a load of calves to move Tuesday......no mods, light bars, just the color touch screen. Batteries purchased 3 years ago, truck sets inside.

Any real ideas? Thanks for the assist.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Check the battery + cross over cable that hooks the 2 batteries together. They are know to rot under the insulation.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
^^^ What he said!!!

Your voltage discrepancy is definitely indicative of a bad connection or corroded wire on the large XO cable that runs between the two batteries.

That being said, you will want to inspect, clean and tighten ALL battery connections and also replace the cable, as well as BOTH batteries since over charging the one and undercharging the other has ruined BOTH of them if it had happened for any period of time. Even if the one being undercharged is still OK, id you replace only the one, you will continue to have a different charge potential between the new and the old battery which will lead to eventual failure again!!

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seafish / TWR thanks, you called it right. Now I haven't completed the repair but I did use one side of a pair of heavy duty jumpers to run a quick test, worked great.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts