Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 4wd
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new to the forum as well as to the Dodge family. I bought an 03 Dodge Ram 2500 4wd automatic with 260k miles with a 5.9L quad cab Completely stock. Truck had engine knocking as well as excessive white smoke coming out the exhaust when I bought it so I towed it home and had a diesel shop work on it.

They replaced
fuel injectors with brand new Bosch injectors
new transfer case (4x4 kept kicking out of gear while driving)
water pump and thermostat
head gasket and ARP head studs

I requested the shop call me the day they where going to replace the head gasket so I can see for myself if the engine block had any problems such as warping or any obvious signs of it needing to be replaced. To my suprise the block was solid and the shop confirmed that the truck didn’t need any other work done to it. After taking it home the first day it ran perfectly fine until the next day when I took it out to run some errands the engine started to shake violently for a couple seconds at a red light, the rpm’s fluctuated between 500 and 1,000 rpm, and the engine sounded like it was struggling to stay on. After a couple awkward muinutes it passed and the engine went back to normal with no problems what so ever. I went to the store, turned it off, was in the store for half an hour, and when i left I turned the truck on to leave and as i stepped on the gas pedal it immediatly shot up to 2,500rpm and stayed stuck there. I completely let off of the gas and slammed the brakes but it still kept going forward since the throttle seemed to be stuck open so i shifted to neutral and that stopped it from moving but still stayed open for another couple seconds before going back to normal like if nothing happene. I immediately parked it, turned it off, and opened the hood to check out the throttle and it seemed perfectly fine. All wires and connections seemed normal and pulled fine.

Called the shop to complain and they told me to bring it in. They ended up replacing the lift pump which was leaking and seemed to be the problem. Took it home and the truck is STILL doing the same thing But now is more consistent. Any help or suggestion?

·
Trying to learn
7,803 Posts
1st thing I would do is have the Injectors tested, seems like maybe 1 or more are sticking and causing the RPMs.

·
Cowboy AKA Equality State
943 Posts
Perhaps a frayed cable going to the APPS??? I had my '92 W-350's cable get stuck a couple times... Super scary!!! Luckily, I found a local "mom and pop shop" that had all the factory stuff on the shelf... I also scored one of the LAST OE cooling fans available, from a dealership!!!! APPS could be bad, "right off the shelf" FWIW.

This was about 6 years ago, but you never know what you can find, IF you look hard enough!!!

Fuel knock isn't good at all, but it could just be crappy re-mans, or fake Chinese junk also...

Edit: Dodge isn't the best at electrical wiring either...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps a frayed cable going to the APPS??? I had my '92 W-350's cable get stuck a couple times... Super scary!!! Luckily, I found a local "mom and pop shop" that had all the factory stuff on the shelf... I also scored one of the LAST OE cooling fans available, from a dealership!!!! APPS could be bad, "right off the shelf" FWIW.

This was about 6 years ago, but you never know what you can find, IF you look hard enough!!!

Fuel knock isn't good at all, but it could just be crappy re-mans, or fake Chinese junk also...

I read a couple others who have the same truck as me and a lot of them mention the APPS going bad. Might have to start by replacing that, then move on to the in-tank fuel pump

·
Registered
140 Posts

I wonder if it could be the crank sensor. This thread talks about some of the same symptoms you had.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I wonder if it could be the crank sensor. This thread talks about some of the same symptoms you had.
This is EXACTLY all of the symptoms that my truck has except for the fact that there’s no codes. Ive ran two separate scanners and nothing related to fuel delivery. There are a couple small codes for 4wd mux drive as well as the alternator needing to be replaced. Aside from that no codes at all. It’s definitely worth a shot so I’m going to change it.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Couple other possibilities.
1. Check boost output of turbo for engine oil. Will cause runaway, oil into engine intake. Front turbo bushing gone.

2. FCA sticking open, worn, corroded internally, damaged wiring. Will cause engine rpm increase, engine shaking and sounds like the engine is going to hammer itself to death. Common in pickups that have set for along time, corrosion in FCA or wiring connectors, often intermittent.

You are a glutton for punishment, that's not a diesel engine repair shop. It's a diesel killing abortion factory. Find a real Cummins shop

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Couple other possibilities.
1. Check boost output of turbo for engine oil. Will cause runaway, oil into engine intake. Front turbo bushing gone.

2. FCA sticking open, worn, corroded internally, damaged wiring. Will cause engine rpm increase, engine shaking and sounds like the engine is going to hammer itself to death. Common in pickups that have set for along time, corrosion in FCA or wiring connectors, often intermittent.

You are a glutton for punishment, that's not a diesel engine repair shop. It's a diesel killing abortion factory. Find a real Cummins shop
Honestly I’m just going to do all the work on my own and go from there

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Just replaced the Crank Sensor and the issue persists. Going to order a new APPS and install it this week

·
Registered
140 Posts
Might want to check the FAS as well. Not sure which is cheaper. FAS or the APPS

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Might want to check the FAS as well. Not sure which is cheaper. FAS or the APPS
not entirely sure what the FAS is but replaced the APPS and the problem persists. Taking it to the dealership today to get it diagnosed and get to the root of the problem. From there I can fix it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts