Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Dodge Ram 2500
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, thought I'd type up a quick guide on my experience with oil filters that don't want to come loose. Feel free to comment any more suggestions/ideas.

Oil Filter Removal Tool
Pretty straight forward. Follow the directions for you specific tool. Works in most scenarios but I've found that depending on how tight the space is and how snug the filter is that sometimes this just doesn't cut it.

Screw Driver Trick
So I've read a lot of people saying to use this method. Stab a screwdriver through the filter and twist it loose. I've had mixed results. Sometimes this works great, but it's always a mess and it can turn a simple task into a full project. I've had the screwdriver tear the filter right off with just the threading remaining, so unless you wanna deal with welding a nut onto it or banging on it with a flat head screwdriver I'd stay away from this.

Ratchet Strap Leverage
By far the most effective way to remove a rusted or seized filter. I've never heard of anyone doing this before but it has saved my life multiple times before.
Take the end of the strap and loop the hook around the filter and onto itself. Hook the other end of the strap to the frame of the truck or other sturdy surface. As you start cranking it down the loop and hook around the filter will bite down onto it. It may create a dent on the side of the filter. Keep cranking it until it loosens. I have also wrapped a second strap and hook around the filter and pulled that manually.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car Gas Automotive exterior

·
Super Moderator
23,798 Posts
My experience from a stuck oil filter not comming loose is because no oil was put on the seal and it was over tightened.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Does the filter have the fluted bottom? Filter sockets work great. It looks like it's been on there since 03!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Wait...I'm not supposed to use RTV on the gasket and Loctite on the filter threads?

Next you're goin to tell me not to run the filter home with my 1/2" impact.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Next you're goin to tell me not to run the filter home with my 1/2" impact.
…after cross-threading it…

Continue tightening until it stops leaking.

Reactions: Pavement Tested

·
Registered
3,158 Posts

Naturally. And be sure to tack weld it in a few places so the filter doesn't back off.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

I thought the slight twist to the filter body helped smooth out flow thru the filter like rifling...

·
1,906 Posts
I bought the socket for our Cummins filters. Wish I would've bought it sooner. The strap that works with a 1/2" or 3/8" drive ratchet insert has always worked for me for anything too.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Can you unbolt the entire filter housing and deal with it on a bench? During Covid lockdowns I got a remote filter kit for $18 new off eBay. Only good thing that come out of the lock down for me.

·
1,906 Posts
Can you unbolt the entire filter housing and deal with it on a bench? During Covid lockdowns I got a remote filter kit for $18 new off eBay. Only good thing that come out of the lock down for me.
There is bolts that require the filter to be removed to have access to them. Then you have to drain your coolant and buy a new oil cooler gasket.

·
Registered
2016 Laramie Mega Cab completely stock
6 Posts
Coming from the 5th Gen forum where overtightened filters from the factory is the norm, one trick is loosen filter with a hot engine. Constant medium pressure worked for me as the filter slowly breaks free and the filter barely starts turning, holding that pressure till it finally gives way. Almost like pulling stickers off your car, pull to fast and the sticker rips. I know it sounds weird but hey.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts