Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, had to use 4wd yesterday and now it's acting like it's stuck in 4wd, I can spin the rear, but when I turn it feels like it's in 4wd, steering wheel jerk and all. Any ideas? :help

·
GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,249 Posts
did you back up and unlock the hubs? after you engage 4wd on automatic hubs, you have to back them up, and unlock them, or atleast i thought you did, correct me if im wrong... :popcorn:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Had the same problem on a 94 3500, it was the vacum actuator on the front axle housing. Dont know if yours is the same setup or not.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I did the whole back up to unlock em thing, I'll have to crawl under there tomorrow and check and see if it has a vacuum actuator.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yeah, I did the whole back up to unlock em thing, I'll have to crawl under there tomorrow and check and see if it has a vacuum actuator.
Mine was on the passenger side housing, and there were I think 2 vacuum lines. You could disengage if you hooked a vacuum pump up to one of them.

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
did you back up and unlock the hubs? after you engage 4wd on automatic hubs, you have to back them up, and unlock them, or atleast i thought you did, correct me if im wrong... :popcorn:
These trucks don't have locking/unlocking hubs. Backing up does nothing. Pop off your hub cap and you'll see a big nut. No locking hubs. Even in 2wd, your front axle and driveshaft spin. The only disconnect point is the transfer case.

If you have an electronic shift t-case, check your fuses.

-Chuck

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I'm stumped on this one, my transfer case is manual, all u-joints from the transfer case to the hubs are fine, there is just the ever so slightest amount of up and down play in the ball joints, but I cant imagine that causing this. Guess I'll have to take it to the shop and see what they can find. thanks for all your suggestions:beer

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would suggest another inspection of the front axle u-joints again. As said these are live front axles. Nothing to disconnect other than transfer case engagement. Jack the front of the truck up and do another inspection. A bad axle joint will cause your steering wheel to rock while cornering. It doesn't take much. You may not even hear the joint, but the wheel will tell the truth.

·
Fill Diesel Only
1,033 Posts
I would take a good look at your tires. I thought I had an issue like that too. Then looking at my tires I needed to rotate. Fixed the problem. I have those knobby toyos and they were cupping, making it feel like it was in 4WD when turning.

·
Registered
129 Posts
A bad axle joint will cause your steering wheel to rock while cornering. It doesn't take much. You may not even hear the joint, but the wheel will tell the truth.:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I would suggest another inspection of the front axle u-joints again. As said these are live front axles. Nothing to disconnect other than transfer case engagement. Jack the front of the truck up and do another inspection. A bad axle joint will cause your steering wheel to rock while cornering. It doesn't take much. You may not even hear the joint, but the wheel will tell the truth.
Bingo! x2

Merrick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts