Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the thread on my intake rocker arm retainer bolt hole has the threads stripped out. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem quickly .This is my work truck.:banghead:

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I'd Helicoil it but since there's going to be drilling and shavings, everything must be covered and holes like pushrod holes stuffed with paper towels to keep the shavings out of the engine.
Which cylinder has the stripped rocker hole?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
num 2 cylinder, intake

·
Banned
8,204 Posts
well at least its easy to get to. The only other thing you can do is tap the hole for a bigger bolt and drill out hole the bolt goes through. after all it is just a sloid round chunk of steel. there are no needle bearings in it or anything.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
problem solved, sorta, discovered that the hole threads went in a fair bit deeper than the stock bolt did so I was able to pickup a new bolt from canadian tire which was a quarter inch longer. bita locktite, tap the hole to clean out any debris and the new bolt popped right in and torqued to spec. Only potential issue is that the new bolt was not a hardened bolt like the original it was a zinc plated one but that bolt should hold until I can get a proper hardened one from brafasco I think. Thank god someone thought of threading the hole deeper than the bolt when they designed this mechanism. Your idea was only other option but glad I didnt have to start drilling and tappin free hand. That would have been scary, for me anyway

·
Banned
8,204 Posts
Well id be carefull. Personally I wouldnt trust it like that but its just my opinion. I would talk to a machine shop and see what they say. Maybe schedule something with them since you use it for work and cant just drop it off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts