Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i finally got enough money to start this build. so here goes.

Build Goal:

To have a stout, clean, low profile street brawler for under 10 grand.

so here is what i started with.

Previous owner had converted a 2500 to a 3500 with the addition of dually runnning gear. Rear end is a d80 with 4.10s. He made the flat bed too.

I advertised on here to see if anyone wanted to buy the flat bed or trade. sure enough, someone wanted to trade. We did an even swap, my flat bed for his bumper, bed, and tailgate complete with lights.
Also found a front bumper on craigslist. 75 bucks

Now im cruising dually style with a reg bed. :hehe:

Now that the flat bed was off, the stack was cut. James at Rollin Smoke diesel hooked it up 5 inch style.

Got my third gen aluminums back from powder coating. on they went. Tires are 265s a friend had laying around. Remember, the rear axle is still a dually dana 80 albeit a cab and chassis axle(about 2 inches narrower then a reg dually axle.

As you can see, the tires dont stick way past the fenders as many think. I am going to get a reg dually d80 with 3.55s. I think it will push the wheels out the perfect amount, right inline with the fenders.

Next inline is a d80 swap, and a 3/4 lowering kit. Then it will body work and paint.

· New England Chapter VP
148 Posts
correct me if im wrong, if a cab&chassis d80 is 2'' narrower then a drw d80... wouldn't it be even with the front? a stock dually rear axle is 2'' wider per side then a normal, so 4'' wider then srw overall. A front axle is 1 inch wider per side then a rear axle on a non dually truck. Would that inch make that much of a diff?

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well im not getting a regular dually axle just for the added 1 inch per side. i dont really care about that. Im getting a new rear because i wanted to regear to 3.55s. For me to go to 3.55s id have to get a new carrier + gears+ labor which wouldnt even make it worth it. However, i just scored a d80 rear with the gears i want for much less then a gear change. This way i can swap the rear myself and then sell mine later on to help recoup some of my costs.

But ya, looks like your math is about correct. Ive never measured the difference between a cab and chassis rear to a reg dually rear but iwas told its around a 2 inch difference.

· New England Chapter VP
148 Posts
ahh i see. definately sick brawler. i did the same, i did a srw swap and used my d80. i wanted 3.55's and found a open d80 with 3.55's for a srw, paid 150 bux! i ended up keepin the dually cause of the 4.10s and there driveability with 35's. i stuck my 1.5 dually spacer in the front to even the axle widths out, and used hummer rims which brought them even and stickin out as much as a 4'' backspaced rim. good luck man, lookin sick:headbang:

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks keepitcrunk. as for color, im not sure yet. im thinking either the charcoal on the newer dodges or a silver. dont really wany black as its kind of common to see a truck all blacked out now. any suggestions?

· Registered
859 Posts
silver would look good all smoked out, i agree about all smoked out black trucks just glad mine is still dfferent from the rest of them lol

· Registered
2,266 Posts
Good luck with build. You should take that air dam off from under the front bumper.

· Registered
493 Posts
Paint it flat black

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.