Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had a noise that was just like that on my 2014 the second day I owned it. I couldn't find it so dealer was going around under hood at idle with a stethoscope and he found out it was the bearings in the alternator. They replaced it and the noise went away.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Couldn't hear it from under the truck either, it's weird that the only place to hear it is from in the cab.

I wondered about a bearing since I just had a coolant leak that probably soaked the whole serpentine system, but you'd think that would be audible from outside the truck too. Maybe I need a stethoscope...

·
Registered
294 Posts
its just a long shot but have you lubed your front drive shaft? I think it starts making noise when it drys out

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Funny, I just noticed a similar noise from my truck a few weeks ago. Seems louder when the engine is cold. Sound does resemble a power steering pump whine.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have this noise during the summer months as well. I don't hear it as much because I usually drive with the windows down but in the winter, that's not an option.

R.K.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Funny, I just noticed a similar noise from my truck a few weeks ago. Seems louder when the engine is cold. Sound does resemble a power steering pump whine.
Mine does sound like the power steering whine too. I used to get a slight whine when turning the wheel sometimes. This noise doesn't change at all with steering wheel movement though, could a pump whine constantly like this? I'm no expert...

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have this exact same issue, but apparently according to people here and at the dealer, I am delusional.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts