Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 2500. I have noticed recently that there is a weird whining noise at idle and acceleration that you can hear in the cab of the truck. I can't remember if its been there the whole time or if it just started happening recently. I took a video and if you listen carefully, you can hear the whining noise. It follows the rpm's of the truck. It almost sound like a power steering pump noise.

Here's the video:

http://vid110.photobucket.com/albums/n109/crazyrx7/VID_20141031_064834_zpsg6we2mqq.mp4

It might just be me going crazy. I'm at the point where I want to go to a dealer and test drive a new truck to see if the sound is there.

R.K.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Could it be the Teflon lining inside the high pressure hose power steering .. That was a problem or has been a problem in 4th gens. Check that high pressure line
If that's the problem take the hose apart rip the lining out.

Search for

Power steering hissing noises

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a similar sound a few days ago. I picked it up from service and it was making that noise. I thought they did something to my truck. It seemed to calm down after it warmed up. It was ~40 deg that night and has been warmer the past few days and haven't noticed it. But it is colder today so will have to see if it comes back.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could it be the Teflon lining inside the high pressure hose power steering .. That was a problem or has been a problem in 4th gens. Check that high pressure line
If that's the problem take the hose apart rip the lining out.

Search for

Power steering hissing noises
I did have a power steering leak and they replaced the hose. I wonder if it started after that. I almost need to go and drive a 14 and see if the noise is there.

R.K.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had the same exact issue 3 times on a 2012 2500 and every time it was a power steering hose problem. Dealer 'fixed' every time

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update...

I called the dealership and I am meeting the shop foreman at 2:00pm this afternoon to show him the noise. I also told him about my issues with filling up the truck and he's just going to order a new filler neck. I will update again after my visit to the dealer.

R.K.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The shop foreman went for a drive with me and heard the noise. Its going in once the parts for my diesel filler tube arrive and they're going to look into it. I will update once that has been assessed.

R.K.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks for the update, mine does the same thing and the f....en thing is driving me nuts. So far, changed the steering box twice (first time it was leaking), the polwer steering pump and the hydeo boost (the gadget that replaces the power break pump). Still does it.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had a whiny noise in my truck during all operating conditions. It stopped for a couple of minutes when I said "Honey, please be quiet, I'm trying to hear my truck."

·
Registered
514 Posts
I had a whiny noise in my truck during all operating conditions. It stopped for a couple of minutes when I said "Honey, please be quiet, I'm trying to hear my truck."

perfect!!!!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just an update...

They found the power steering fluid was low and found the fluid was leaking back past high pressure pipe on steering gear. They found the pipe was backed off a couple of turns. Re-tightened the pipe and filled up the fluid. It seems to have quietened the noise down a bit, but its still there.

On a side note, the diesel filler tube was finally replaced after me complaining about it for over a year.

R.K.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I just started having this same noise. Dealership said I was hearing the turbo:doh: umm...no. Lol

I can't hear the noise from outside with the hood up, just inside the cab. It doesn't seem to be steering related because the noise doesn't change when the wheel is moved.

Anybody figure out a solution??

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just started having this same noise. Dealership said I was hearing the turbo:doh: umm...no. Lol

I can't hear the noise from outside with the hood up, just inside the cab. It doesn't seem to be steering related because the noise doesn't change when the wheel is moved.

Anybody figure out a solution??
Mine is still making the noise and just like you, I can't hear it with the hood up. It does change with the rpm so who knows what's going on.

R.K.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Mine is still making the noise and just like you, I can't hear it with the hood up. It does change with the rpm so who knows what's going on.

R.K.
Do you have the factory air intake or an aftermarket?
I'm on my way out to go crawl under the truck, hopefully I can isolate the source...

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you have the factory air intake or an aftermarket?
I'm on my way out to go crawl under the truck, hopefully I can isolate the source...
Unmodified, completely stock, just like it came from the factory. Goodluck.

R.K.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts