Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
98.5 24v, 5 spd, 4x4-
Replaced VP44 following “Dead Petal”/ Inj pump timing failure DTC. Truck ran good and only “dead petal” under load. Also replaced stock lift with Airdog 100, upgraded injector brackets, and replaced seals on vacuum pump and throttle cable.
To the simple problem I have slight fuel leakage from high-pressure lines at the head/connector tubes very little but my understanding is loss of injection pressure is not good. Are these tubes prone to cracking/leaking or should I replace High-pressure lines? Or all?

Now the strange question, following all this the truck runs great quick start / take off, no smoke even under load.
Will push 15+psi fuel, @25+psi boost, with less than 1100’EGT going up a very steep hill, will do 65 up it. But on the flats I can only get 70/75 @ 2700+rpm it feels like I need another gear, revving very high. Has anyone encountered this before? Truck used to cruise at 75 no problem. The best way to describe it is like cruising in 4th gear on the highway, but I’m in fifth? swap out rearend gears? is there a trans. re-gear kit out there?
thanks in advanced.
john

· Registered
1,158 Posts
i think you may have pulled a ground out in the connection.

· Registered
17 Posts
I have not heard of the high pressure lines cracking but you dont want them leaking. are the all tight? hopefully not cross threaded. Not for sure but clutch slipping? just a guess sorry

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
got to thinking over dinner (wife loves the conversation) is there any SOP for cleaning the joints of the hard lines? It has to be "crud" build up or cracked tube, but I have 3 leaking, what are the odds of three cracked tubes....
the speed thing has me stumped, i agree it has to be clutch, but no other signs.
what are the avg. rpms you guys run @ 65mph?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.