Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Viair experts! I've got an older 275c that has performed strangely as long as I've owned it. I'm trying to sort out what's going on.

If I just have it plugged into my 1.75 gallon tank, it will take it from 0 to 110 PSI in about 1 min 30 sec. If my math is correct, that's something like 25% faster than the specs indicate. That's awesome!

If, however, I ask it to bring a tire from, say, 10 PSI to 50, it takes considerably longer than both its specs and its performance with my air tank would indicate. Acknowledging that the 275c is not necessarily designed for tire filling duties, its specs indicate it should be able to take a ~5.25 cubic foot tire from 10 to 50 PSI in about 5 min 30 sec, give or take. I believe that's well within its duty cycle. Instead of 5 min 30 sec, however, mine takes more than twice as long, 11 min 30 sec as of this morning, even with the tank full and plumbed in. After filling, the compressor is warm, but not scorching hot, nor is it making any untoward noises or anything like that.

Any suggestions as to what I can check beyond the obvious? I really like this tough little compressor, and I'd love to get it back performing the way it's designed.

Thank you!

·
Supporting Vendor
73 Posts
Hey sam, the compressors are oil-less. so the piston inside the compressor should eventually wear down. so should the carbon brushes and the bearings. yours seems to only have problems at high pressures which i presume means that the check valve isn't working. (I could be wrong, after is a used compressor) You should check to see if the check valve is leaking. If is, replace the check valve and see how the performance does.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick, helpful response!

It's funny you mention it struggling at higher pressures, because now that you mention it, it fills a tire like mad until about 35 PSI or so. Then it just falls flat.

I guess the next step is to pull the head and make sure everything's functioning correctly, as well as pull the leader hose and give it a once-over. I'll update as soon as I know what's going on. I assume replacement internal parts are attainable should I find anything suspicious?

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts