Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Strange noise under boost

3087 6
I'm getting a strange noise from under the dash when boosting over 15 psi. It's on the driver's side and has an odd, squeaking sound to it (tough to describe), only happening when accelerating hard. I'm not familiar with the climate control system, but I get the impression something might be seeing pressure that's not supposed to. Any ideas where to start looking? Very odd...:confused013:
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any ideas?? Perhaps I should have posted this in the powertrain section. The noise almost has the sound of a belt slip, but it's coming from under the dash.

· Registered
1,316 Posts
Sounds like a intercooler boot leak. I'd snug up all the boots. If it sounds sort of like making a balloon squeal letting air out of it, it might also be a warped or loose exhaust manifold or turbo flange gasket. The metal gaskets act like a reed in a musical instrument. I strongly suspect it's one of these things.

BTW beware of Gates hoses with bio. I have had good luck with Goodyear fuel and emissions hose, but the Gates fuel hoses turned into bubble gum. I know you didn't ask, but it was a pain, so I like to share that one.

· Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to finish this thread out. The problem was a boost leak on the intake manifold where I removed the stock fuel filter and neglected to properly re-torque the 2 mounting bolts. I sure sounded like it was under the dash! :bonk:

· Registered
274 Posts
I'm getting a strange noise from under the dash when boosting over 15 psi. It's on the driver's side and has an odd, squeaking sound to it (tough to describe), only happening when accelerating hard. I'm not familiar with the climate control system, but I get the impression something might be seeing pressure that's not supposed to. Any ideas where to start looking? Very odd...:confused013:
Do you still have the fire wall covering stuff? If not then its just you turbo whistle bouncing off the block and shooting over to you drivers side. My buddies is like that it sounds like a damn cat is crammed between the motor block and fire wall.

· Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Firewall insulation is still in place, it was just the boost leaking out of the intake where the bolts were loose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.