Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently talked with a guy who says hes making what I guess would be called biodiesel out of used motor oil....anyone heard of this?

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have heard something about it but how does he do it? does it work?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I read a post one time on another forum that it was possible but it takes a lot of time & heat and other stuff to convert the used oil in to usable fuel. IIRC the process to do it is along the same line of how they have to crack crude oil in to unusable products.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is there any special name he called it?
Nope, he just called it biodiesel. I guess its still considered waste or a by product...not really sure though. I have been looking and havent found one thing about it. I watched him pump it into his truck and drive away. It looks just like motor oil, he said its easier to make because you dont have the fats in the oil. He also said it costs a little less than a dollar a gallon, which is about 50 cents less that what I make my biodiesel for.

I read a post one time on another forum that it was possible but it takes a lot of time & heat and other stuff to convert the used oil in to usable fuel. IIRC the process to do it is along the same line of how they have to crack crude oil in to unusable products.
He told me that his reactor takes about 5 days to make 100 gallons, not bad to me.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I know of several people that are doing this now. My freind that is doing this told me that if you use used motor oil, it is broken down and diluted a little from the fuel getting past the rings enough that you can just mix it in with regular deisel fuel. He started with a 30 percent mix. In the summer months he runs 70 percent. His truck does not some too bad bud it does smell like buring oil. he has a filter set up he uses to filter the used oil. I have started doing the same, when i change the oil in my truck or cars i just pour the waste in my tank. I have not been able to tell a difference at all. I have a new truck with the particalate filter. you are not suposed to do it with those but it has made no difference.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know of several people that are doing this now. My freind that is doing this told me that if you use used motor oil, it is broken down and diluted a little from the fuel getting past the rings enough that you can just mix it in with regular deisel fuel. He started with a 30 percent mix. In the summer months he runs 70 percent. His truck does not some too bad bud it does smell like buring oil. he has a filter set up he uses to filter the used oil. I have started doing the same, when i change the oil in my truck or cars i just pour the waste in my tank. I have not been able to tell a difference at all. I have a new truck with the particalate filter. you are not suposed to do it with those but it has made no difference.
No kidding huh? do you make it like you would make biodiesel? What other addatives are you adding to break it down? I hear Cetane and something else are a must.

·
Registered
340 Posts
When i change my iol from my car or truck it is just a couple of galons and I just dump it straight into the tank. My freind has like 20 gallon containers that he filles like 5 gallons fuel and the rest oil. He just shakes it up and dumps it in his tank. Even with the amount he uses when you look at the mixture it is just an oily form of deisel. He has an 05 durramax.He filters the oil before mixing, i don't because i dump a couple of gallons over a four month time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wouldn't dare put UMO in a new truck designed for ULSD. You'll pay for that later I'm sure. I just takes a little time for the filter to clog up. Just my .02.

Later,

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I would not use my own oil being I use group 4 synthetic and I don't think it would burn all that well in my engine. I sure would not use any oil that had not been filtered through at least a 5 micron filter to get all of the junk out that could hurt the injectors. I would also be smart find some way to have the oil pass over a magnet so as to trap any metal that maybe in the oil. If you have a 6.7 with DP, EGR it would not be a wise idea to use waste engine oil (WEO) in your fuel as it will screw up or plug up your DPF faster then normal. By using WEO cleaning it and or replacement will not be covered under warranty.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Its not biodiesel. Biodiesel is FAME.. Fatty Acid Methyl Ester... he is just blending WMO. There is nothing Bio about it.

This stuff cracks me up. People pretend to be chemists/ chemical engineers and come up with "alternative" ways to fuel there rigs. Ok its motor oil, not fuel; you can make yourself feel comfortable that it’s close to the viscosity of no2, by diluting it. However but your not changing the properties enough to compensate for the increase in desnity/viscoity. However I have seen and been to places that take used fluids,treat them, "refine them" and the blend with HHO and use it in furnaces. They change the injectors out to a more "tolerant" design and away you go. Yes it may work now and for 1000's of miles. However throw that mix in a CR truck and see if you CP3 likes it.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
It's a very bad idea. I experimented with all the BS internet wisdom regarding this and found it all to be bunk. I suspect the "string method" and "tp" method were presented as tried and true by bozos who had not actually done it, and thought it would work.

The problem with the purification methods other than a true centrifuge or refining, is that particulate hydrocarbons will remain and plug up your fuel filter in SHORT ORDER. I mean in a tank or two. The second issue is that this crap will also coke up your injectors. I knew this when I experimented with it, but had no lost love for the engine I was using it in.

The lubricity is fantastic, though, and won't hurt your pump, I'm pretty sure. If you have a 12v, with two port injectors, it will be more forgiving as the 2 port's are bigger and harder to coke up. That's why wvo is less of a problem in them.

More trouble than it is worth, in my opinion, unless you have a lister or something that doesn't have a REAL fuel filter and the fines can go through without plugging stuff up.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've never heard of processing it... but I filter it and run it. But then again, i don't know about the newer trucks. Haha lucky for me, a 12v will burn darn near anything, motor oil, veggie oil, hydrolic fluid, atf, and probably tar and crude oil if you could get them hot enough to flow.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
on a 6.7 with the dpf your not even suppose to run anything but low ash oil in your crank case and they recommend a 7 micron filter for the fuel system. i wouldnt dump wmo/weo in a common rail engine

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know when I was talking to the guy it just didnt seem like a good idea. The only thing I kept thinking about is the small bits of metal in the oil. Also I was thinking about how nasty thing truck would smoke.....so much for thinking green! LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts