Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will straight piping my muffler only cause a loss in torque or horsepower? My only mods are cold air intake and smarty jr on my 2005 cummins. I'm new to this so any help would be great.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Are Hard On's a bad thing????

I get one everytime I get on it!!!! My EGT dropped quicker at an idle and ran a little lower at WOT. Mine really seemed to help with the delivery time of the power......not so much turbo lag. It pretty much snaps off of low idle.

I am always looking in my mirrors because it is so loud......but way worth it on the fun side. Just keep your old muffler so if you do get a ticket for faulty equipment you don't have to pay to fix the "illegale-ness".

·
Registered
121 Posts
:lol4: i always get the "sir has your exhaust been modified?" :confused013: NOPE! "well i think it sounded louder than a semi back there" lol, its funny watchin a cop look under there and have no clue what so ever to what there looking at. im just now in the process of redoing mine with 4.5 OD pipe up to stacks. looks sweet when you got a 6spd and black roarin out the stacks. it deff. lowers EGTs and quicker turbo response.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I am just happy that here in wisconsin, a turbo is considered a sound suppressor and having the muffler removed is technically not illegal. I am not sure where this is true in other states...

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had mine str8 piped and then put an aero 4040XL on it. Sounds pretty similar to me. The aero has a deeper tone to it. I really like it. As for loudness, the str8 was louder than I wanted in the cab, but even with the aero its still pretty loud.

·
"MR. ESAFO TO YOU!!"
6,080 Posts
Will straight piping my muffler only cause a loss in torque or horsepower? My only mods are cold air intake and smarty jr on my 2005 cummins. I'm new to this so any help would be great.
don't stop with just the muffler, cut that other turd out of there also:lol3: :thumbsup:

·
"MR. ESAFO TO YOU!!"
6,080 Posts
Thansk guy doing it tomrrow.
make sure you tell us how big that SH!T EATING grin is on your face after you fire the hog up for the 1rst time :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was just asking because some have told me that if I cut the muffler off it would cause a very slight loss in horsepower and torque. My truck is pretty much stock besides a cold air intake and Smarty Jr.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,294 Posts
the smarty jr will take care of any additional lag on the bottom
end.

i did notice SOME lag but not enough to worry about.

·
"MR. ESAFO TO YOU!!"
6,080 Posts
yeah the minimal diff you may notice will make up for itself in the smile factor!! make sure to get rid of both of the turdz, good luck & enjoy.

·
"MR. ESAFO TO YOU!!"
6,080 Posts
i'm str8 pipe all the way!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was just asking because some have told me that if I cut the muffler off it would cause a very slight loss in horsepower and torque. QUOTE]

from my understanding diesel motors don't need backpressure like gas engines do to perform...in fact I've found they run best with no back pressure-depending on drive pressure at the turbo/wastegate settings

1 - 16 of 16 Posts