Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was up guys

i just bought an 03 2500 and it has a 5'' exaust with muffler and cat. not sure what kind of muffler.

My 05 has a 4'' straight pipe all the way threw.

The 03 doesn't run as fast and i think my 05 gets better mpg. Is the exasut a factor in this?

What is better?

I know in gas trucks you need back pressure! Do diesels run better with straight pipe.

I'm not worried about how loud it will be.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
136 Posts
Your 05 has 20hp and 45ft/lbs more under the hood than your 03 in stock trim. You prolly wont see much of a gain by taking the cat and muffler off of it, but if your not worried bout the noise, ditch it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as performance and how truck runs.

Will the straight pipe be better or worse for the truck. Honestly beth (my girl friend) wants the louder exuast.

If you ask me i know my 05 is alot quicker than the 03. the 05 is a 6 speed where the 03 is an auto.

Both trucks right now run strong.
thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
straight pipe that thing!!!!!! 5 inch straight no muff no cat and a big a$$ tip the thing will be screaming! go for it

·
Registered
530 Posts
I just put a 5" turbo back straight pipe on my truck with a 7 inch tip and she screams. I wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Straight isn't necessarily louder, my buddie's 03 is straight and he argues that my '06 with a magnaflow is louder. His has more of a raspy sound, and mine is smoother but very comparable in volume. Performance wise, I don't think it will make a difference. The mufflers are straight through anyways. The conversion to straight is cheaper than paying for a performance exhaust though. Only reason I have it is it came on the truck when i bought it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts