Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... great story I guess... I am real thrilled.

I called the Police and filed a report and called the insurance
company and let them know that it was stolen as well.

So the scoop...

I am staying in a RV park in Plano, TX for work and usually have the scooter
locked up with a cablelock to the front landing gear of the camper.
Well I am had just had the conversation over the weekend with my
neighbor who has been in the campground for 8 years (electrical
contractor) and he said that he has never had any problems and
hasn't had an issue with theft here. So last night I got off of it
around 8PM after I went to get dinner and I parked it between my
truck, the camper, and a big tree so it was kinda confined. I had my
sportbike out of the garage because I am building a motor on my dirtbike and
wanted the space to work on it so I put the sportbike under the front of the
camper and used the cable lock to secure it. I locked the
steering on the Zuma and backed it in right by the front door.

I woke up this morning and went to work from home and didn't really look outside. I then I got in the shower and I had all the blinds closed while in the
shower and I got dressed and went back to work. Never opened the
blinds. I walked out at 10:30-11:00AM and it was gone. I have since
talked to my neighbors and one cycle rider up the way and he said
that he saw the guy stealing it between 8 and 9AM this morning. It
was a dark Ford explorer and it was running hot. The theif walked
over to the neighbor and asked him if he could have some water to
cool off his truck and the neighbor went inside to get him a milk
jug full of water. The theif finished putting the scooter in the
back of the explorer and shut up the back and then poured the water
on his radiator and drove off. The neighbor didn't get the tag
because he thought for sure that no one would be stealing a scooter
in broad daylight at 8:30 in the morning and then have the balls to ask for help.

The neighbor remembers what the guy looked like and he believes that
he comes in and out of the neighborhood fairly regularly and he said
that he would call me if he sees him again. He actually thinks he
lives on the other end of the neighborhood in the trailer park. I
don't have a lot of hope of seeing the scooter again but you never
know. Today was grass cutting day so one of those guys may have tipped him off that it was outside.

What really makes me mad is that I was home and people saw him and
it was still stolen. WTF is this country coming to?

The scooter is a 2005 Gray Yamaha Zuma. Still has the stock tires and the
front tire has 2 plugs in it from where the previous owner hit a
pallet in the road. It has scratches on the left back panel from it
rubbing against my other motorcycle exhaust while in transit. I took the zuma stickers off the sides and it has two American flags, one in front of each side
of the grips. It has the dual headlight mod that makes both headlights come on and the rear fender extension. Stock exhaust.

The last few digits of the VIN# are 608651.

I hope that it shows up but I don't expect it to. I expect to see
parts on Craigslist or ebay. You can bet if I had seen the act my
day would have been much different and I probably would have been
taken to jail for the beating I may have given him. I was freaking
home... WTF? I don't know what to say about making
something more secure in broad daylight right outside my front door. This whole thing baffles me.

If anyone in the area happens to see it let me know please. I would greatly appreciate it.

Chris

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
I have my hand basket...which way to hell?

Unfortunately friend, this is what the world is coming to...Sorry to hear about your misfortune, and I hope you get it back.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the biggest thing at this point is letting enough people around know so that the theif can't really move it too easy unless it is in parts. Going to the dealers in a bit.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good luck with your bike, I've seen same shady looking people go in and out of there.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Where are you located hellcat? If you are close then we can catch lunch sometime. I am all up for talking gear... motors, bikes, women... whatever gear we need to discuss.

SO here's the latest. I got a call from Dallas PD and they said that my scooter was recovered. Come to find out, the guy that stole it was stealing it with a stolen truck. I am under the impression that they caught the guy and he is being dealt with. I was just a secondary thought to see if he could steal something else I think. Since he had already stolen the jeep cherokee. Oh yeah... the guy up the street was full of crap on the explorer... it was a cherokee but I can see the resemblance of the older model explorers to the square cherokee. He gets to continue thinking about the fact that he helped the guy that stole my scooter continue to keep the stolen jeep running long enough for him to steal my scooter.

Cost me $116.65 to get it out of the impound lot. Could have been much worse and I still may get that back from the insurance company. I dunno.

I am working on a parts list and will try to get it finished tomorrow to know what all I have to have to fix it. It really isn't that bad. He bent up my mirrors and the exhaust pretty bad and broke some plastic here and there. At least it gives me a chance to step up my security as well as learn how to put all the plastics back together. I have the service manual and am far from mechanically inept so I should have fun with the now mandatory upgrades.

I really appreciate the good wishes. I must have been livin' right the past few weeks.

Now I gotta call the insurance company and the rest of the police departments and clear the VIN tomorrow.

Chris

·
Registered
96 Posts
DUDE bama I told you if you needed a safe place to stay we have 5 acres and nobody s with us! plus codys shop! but damn dude that sucks! sorry to hear that I'll keep my ear out for some body cuz you know me hahaha

·
Registered
540 Posts
Cost me $116.65 to get it out of the impound lot. Could have been much worse and I still may get that back from the insurance company. I dunno.

I am working on a parts list and will try to get it finished tomorrow to know what all I have to have to fix it. It really isn't that bad. He bent up my mirrors and the exhaust pretty bad and broke some plastic here and there. At least it gives me a chance to step up my security as well as learn how to put all the plastics back together. I have the service manual and am far from mechanically inept so I should have fun with the now mandatory upgrades.

Chris
I would try to take the guy to small claims court if I were you, he should have to pay for his own F'ed up idea.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Aaron. I got it back but I gotta put some "mandatory" upgraded repair parts on it. Biggest thing is the mirrors and the beat up exhaust. I rode it out of the impound lot and up to load it in the truck. At least it wasn't a total loss.

See you this weekend at the Diesel Drags. I may leave early and hit up a concert but I haven't gotten the tickets yet... still waiting to hear from someone else on them.

Your 5 acres is way to far for me to drive every day for work. I would spend a fortune just getting to work. Probably more than rent here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts