Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 12V with the stock Holset turbo charger on it. Just installed the BHAF yesterday and noticed my boost had jumped from 32 psi to about 37 psi.:peelout How much boost and horsepower can I look at getting out of the stock charger. Is 37 psi too much? My HP as of now is about 290.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Ill never run a stock turbo over 30psi again. I had 5 turbos grenade in 3 months, IMO if you wanna make that much boost, upgrade your turbo to one that can handle it. The Holset turbos are great for stock or mildly modded trucks.

·
Registered
587 Posts
i think 35psi is about as far as you want to go on an hx35.your smoke levels and egts should let you know the rest.im pretty sure i was getting around 400hp on the stock turbo but my egts would go over 1600 and it smoked like crazy,also was getting 42psi of boost but it didnt last long before the bearings went out on the hx35.but this is also a 24valve,dont know that much on the 12v but i think the turbos are pretty much the same.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yea I was seeing 42psi in my 12 valve, No matter how careful I was when I let off the throttle it barked and scattered. I couldnt figure it out for a few months, then I realized the drive pressures were too much for the wimpy shaft in the HX35W, and the H1C.

·
Registered
587 Posts
my stock turbo would bark like crazy also but it never scattered.the bearings just went out.my aurora 3000 will also bark but not as bad.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yea I was seeing 42psi in my 12 valve, No matter how careful I was when I let off the throttle it barked and scattered. I couldnt figure it out for a few months, then I realized the drive pressures were too much for the wimpy shaft in the HX35W, and the H1C.[/QUOT

Well what do you really expect? 42 psi of boost with no place to go once you get off the throttle, You could buy a $200 Tial 50mm BOV and not worry about it anymore.

·
Registered
565 Posts
where might you buy said BOV?
Most good speed shops have them, all most any Import shop. Check ebay too, I buy a lot of stuff from extremepsi.com for my cars.

Tial has a new 60mm Blow off valve out now, that's what I'd get if you have a Manuel truck. BD has a kit for the auto's called "turbo guard" It's a Tial BOV with some electronics.

·
SC Chapter President
1,024 Posts
Yeah I saw the BD one, $700 is just a bit steep, thats almost enough for a new turbo, I'm gonna look into that 60mm one though, seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
577 Posts
the problem is getting the BOV to go at the right time, not particularly easy

·
Registered
565 Posts
the problem is getting the BOV to go at the right time, not particularly easy
All BOV's are actuated by vacuum, it's as easy as taping a vacuum line for a Manuel, I'm not sure how it would work on an auto?

Maybe the guy from BD can chime in and tell us why they sell a $225 part for $700:butt:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts