Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, have a quick question. I did some searching but came up empty. Anyways, does anyone know what our 5.9 24v Cummins can handle in HP w/o doing anything internal? I am basically wondering how much horse power can safely be added before I need to start bullet proofing the motors internals. Once I upgrade my tranny, I'm just looking to add a programmer and maybe do a few other things to get close to 500hp. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
Your trans is the weak link. Spend the money to build it for a level above what you expect, as the power is as addictive as Crack.
As Me said, the bottom end is not to worry about. After you get to a ceertain boost/RPM level, you will need head studs, possible O ringing the head, valve springs & pushrods.
Outside of the O rings, you can do the rest with never removing the head or opening the engine.

Ed

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
until you intend to rotate at 4K plus. you stock lower end should be good upt o roughly 750-800hp conservatively.....anything can happen, but a 900hp stock low end can survive a respectful driver for quite some time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys...yeah currently looking into either a tranny from Firepunk or get someone local to build it. Reliability is my concern since this is my DD/work truck. I want the power but I also need it on a daily basis so drivability is also a factor.

·
PA VICE PRESIDENT
4,639 Posts
500 is fine for stock motor. A good setup will be programmed,injectors and turbo. Going with a bigger turbo will require head studs. Im running injectors and edge and im at 420 to the wheels. 400 to the wheels is a good start. Im happy as it sits now but come summer time Im gonna get a turbo for it

·
Registered
45 Posts
500 is fine for stock motor. A good setup will be programmed,injectors and turbo. Going with a bigger turbo will require head studs. Im running injectors and edge and im at 420 to the wheels. 400 to the wheels is a good start. Im happy as it sits now but come summer time Im gonna get a turbo for it
what turbo are you looking at? id like to be around 450 to 500 so Ive been checking out either the Super B SX or the Aurora 3000. I saw they have the super b sxe now too, but havent heard if it spools as fast as the SX, the special seems a little too slow to spool for 500 hp

·
Registered
18,899 Posts
You do not have to worry about internal engine.

·
Supporting Vendor
8,230 Posts
the billet 57.1mm/65/14cm gated turbo ( also called a 58mm for marketing reasons) is a great turbo for 450HP, 500HP is a little bit of a stretch. I prefer the gated housing on the super B or the SXE2G576514G40 (our DAP part #) its a smaller exducer than the cast 57mm and it flows 10% more air at 66lbs/minute. It could support 500HP, but would be better looking a a 62/68/12 for the 450-550HP range unless you towed a lot and often and had a goal of 450HP.

the 57mm GXE is MUCH better than the k27 for applications over 400HP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts