Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Fass system. so I bypassed the stocker. but now I want to use the stock filter housing is there a kit for this are do i make it up as i go along

·
Premium Member
6,760 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,253 Posts
There is a fitting that goes in place of the factory lift pump, that will allow you to bring the feed line into the factory fuel filter housing. :thumbsup

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BBRam what fitting and where can I get one. I'd like the extra filter plus this will clean it up under the hood

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks fisherguy for the link great info

·
Premium Member
6,760 Posts
There is a fitting that goes in place of the factory lift pump, that will allow you to bring the feed line into the factory fuel filter housing. :thumbsup
Yes, it's called a Dorman fitting, you get one with the AD100, I'm using it now but if you run your pump return to the filler neck you'll have the same problem I'm having.

Glacier sells the fitting but only for 3/8" hose, here's a link:
Glacier Diesel Power - Product Detail

The one you get with the AD is metal and larger cuz AD uses ½" hose.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
but if you run your pump return to the filler neck you'll have the same problem I'm having.

Have you figured out where the return line needs to go.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
but if you run your pump return to the filler neck you'll have the same problem I'm having.

Run the return line into the OEM sender port on the in tank canister. You'll have to remove the canister to do this. Unplug the OEM plastic tubing from the return port and plug it into the OEM sender port. Plug the OEM return port. This will keep the canister bowl full of fuel so as not to have 1/4 tank issues. Drill a new hole in the top of the canister for the draw straw. This becomes your new sender line. It's easier said than done, which is why I haven't done it yet!!:w:

·
Premium Member
6,760 Posts

I'm going to modify the canister, grind down the ribs of it and use a draw straw that uses bulkhead fittings. This will become the AD return line, it will be filling up the canister all the time instead of just pouring back into the tank.
I'll be doing it once my fuel gets low, will probably use this draw straw from Glacier.

For a few extra dollars they'll send it with 8AN fittings to match the rest of my AD setup.

In the meantime, here's some pics of the canister (note the tie wraps used to release the Dorman fittings) ...
Fisherguy_photos - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Run the return line into the OEM sender port on the in tank canister. You'll have to remove the canister to do this. Unplug the OEM plastic tubing from the return port and plug it into the OEM sender port. Plug the OEM return port. This will keep the canister bowl full of fuel so as not to have 1/4 tank issues. Drill a new hole in the top of the canister for the draw straw. This becomes your new sender line. It's easier said than done, which is why I haven't done it yet!!:w:
:woot:Ok you guys just fixed a problem I didn't know I had until 2 nites ago, when I run my tank below a 1/4. that makes perfect since. It was designed that way to control the pick up from starving as the fuel moves from side to side & front to back
When I started this I just want to know how to run fuel threw the stock fuel filter housing (canister) :lol3:

·
Premium Member
6,760 Posts
Oops, sorry, I just re-read your original post, I thought you wanted to use the stock canister but you said stock filter! :S:

You should be able to run your Fass into the stock filter, just hafta look around for the right fittings.

I've read some say if you have over 20 psi pressure you should change the filter lid out for an aluminum one like you can get from Geno's.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:lol3:Don't be sorry that was all good info. this thread fixed to problems Thanks a lot!:beer

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Yeah, sorry we got a little off topic but kinda related. Gettin' back to your original question. Was it answered? After re-reading the thread I didn't find an answer. How do we incorporate the stock filter into an AD system?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After re-reading the thread I didn't find an answer. How do we incorporate the stock filter into an AD system?
Shagginwagon

From diesel dan, to incorporate the stock housing in the AD system there is a plate that replaces the stock lift pump on the CR's the # he gave me was FP-1001. It came in the kit for the 98.5 to 02 ask your dealer. I hope this helps

·
Premium Member
6,760 Posts
Yeah, sorry we got a little off topic but kinda related. Gettin' back to your original question. Was it answered? After re-reading the thread I didn't find an answer. How do we incorporate the stock filter into an AD system?

I'd think it's simply a mater of removing the factory lines to and from the stock filter canister and replacing them with some fittings you could attach the AD hose fittings to. I bet if you called Glacier about their "big line kit" they'd be able to tell you what fittings you'd need.

(for some reason I can't attach the link, try this)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1/4 tank woooo's

You could modify your stock canister to have the draw straw suck from it, but you'll also need to plum your FASS return line into it or you'll have issues with the canister running out of fuel like I'm having right now.
I used a Liberty canister and am using it's stock feed to my AirDog but have my return going to the filler neck. I'll be moving it to the canister, read about it here:

Thinking of trying the Liberty Canister and Airdog 100?? - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums
Ok I installed a new draw tube in the stock canister. the 1/4 tank problem is still there. when the tank gets to a 1/4 and you stop or make a left turn the pressure drops to between 3 and 5psi. what do I do now? any ideas?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
and I did take the return out of the filler neck and put it on the old supply line into the canister.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Shagginwagon

From diesel dan, to incorporate the stock housing in the AD system there is a plate that replaces the stock lift pump on the CR's the # he gave me was FP-1001. It came in the kit for the 98.5 to 02 ask your dealer. I hope this helps
Cool, thanks for the heads up on that one.:thumbsup

and I did take the return out of the filler neck and put it on the old supply line into the canister.
Did you connect the oem return tubing (in the canister) to the oem sender line (your new return line)? Simply dumping it into the canister isn't enough, from what I've read, to keep the bowl full.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cool, thanks for the heads up on that one.:thumbsup

Did you connect the oem return tubing (in the canister) to the oem sender line (your new return line)? Simply dumping it into the canister isn't enough, from what I've read, to keep the bowl full.
there wasn't a hose on the oem return (in the canister) just a 3" nipple. the oem return (from the engine) is still connected to it. the FASS return is connected to the oem supply and the new straw is drawing from the canister. Now that I think about it, the stock supply draws from the buttom of the canister that means that the fuel from the FASS return is being pushed threw the canister back into the tank

1 - 20 of 31 Posts