Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a H&S XRT that i just picked up for my 08 2500. My question is simple:
How many of you are running deletes with the OEM downpipe in? Any issues? anyone had this setup long term? Thoughts?
I am aware of the multitude of threads involving DPF delete. However, most if not all include; install, mpg gain ect with very little or nothing about running a basic delete pipe with the stock down pipe long term. If there is an imformative thread out there i missed i'd appreciate a point in the right direction.
I also realize ( I have a race car) that in doing this is like opening pandora's box. And in time ill probably just put a full exhaust on it anyway. But, for now just want to delete the DPF/EGR not too worried about massive power gains.

Thanks,
Brett

·
Registered
51 Posts
For the money your going to spend for just the dpf delete pipe u will be halfway to the cost of a 5" TBE

·
Registered
178 Posts
The stock down pipe has a catalytic converter in it. There are no issues I am aware of for running the cat with the other deletes. I am not an expert though, I did delete the cat along with the DPF on my last 2 trucks.

·
Retired Old Fart!
8,489 Posts
I've run with and without the downpipe. I saw no difference in performance or economy between the 2. The big difference is sound. The cat performs quite a bit of muffling. A TBE will sound like a jet engine on a cold morning with High-idle on & EB on. The neighbors will love you. :hehe:

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I ALSO HAVE AN 08, BUT I HAVE 4.10'S, mine got the most mileage gain from the downpipe being removed. i guess the extra rpm's made a difference.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a H&S XRT that i just picked up for my 08 2500. My question is simple:
How many of you are running deletes with the OEM downpipe in? Any issues? anyone had this setup long term? Thoughts?
I am aware of the multitude of threads involving DPF delete. However, most if not all include; install, mpg gain ect with very little or nothing about running a basic delete pipe with the stock down pipe long term. If there is an imformative thread out there i missed i'd appreciate a point in the right direction.
I also realize ( I have a race car) that in doing this is like opening pandora's box. And in time ill probably just put a full exhaust on it anyway. But, for now just want to delete the DPF/EGR not too worried about massive power gains.

Thanks,
Brett
The most noticeable performance boost to my truck was removing the downpipe, which I did months after doing the other deletes. Specifically the throttle response and a little more power. I can't see any mpg difference, must have been negligible.

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
I have run "repaired" cannisters with the cat still in place using the XRT on 60 for over 15 months now and for 25000 miles with absolutely no problems. I couldn't go a 1/4 tank of fuel with the DPF in original condition before I would have to drive well out my way into the country parts of the freeway to complete a regen cycle. Useless pile of junk that system aft of the cat. My son has a 5.9 and put my spare cat into his system to quiet it so he doesn't wake all the neighbors in the morning.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I recently modified a stock exhaust system for my truck. It included completely removing all the cat stuff from the down pipe and boring a 4 1/2 inch hole through the other two. I left the stock muffler/resonator in place with the stock tail pipe. The truck sounds almost no different than stock. I can't hear anything from the cab, turbo isn't louder, and there's no rumble. I'm contemplating removing everything behind the DPF and replacing it with a 5 inch DPF-back pipe to hopefully increase the sound level some. I just recently done all of this, so I can't commend on any mileage or reliability issues.

·
Premium Member
11,985 Posts
flopster, the muffler on the 6.7's is really a resonator, doesn't muffle much

i'd just worry about the cat in the dp cloggin after a few years use, especially usin smokey tunes

·
Registered
943 Posts
I did the DPF delete and kept the rest of the exhaust stock including DP. The truck sounds much better, though it's far from straight pipe sound. With the cat being so close to the turbo it kills a lot of sound and keeps the interior pretty quiet. It sounds great while towing. If I didn't have to deal with smog check every 2 years the DP would be gone, but for now I feel like it's good enough.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the vid reference. That sounds great...not too loud at all/reasonable.
There has been speculation that running with the front cat will result in soot clogging. I see this as unlikely as the cat is close enough to the turbo to stay hot/clean....anyone care to chime in?
Remember, my goal is dpf delete not nhrda ;-).

·
Registered
943 Posts
There has been speculation that running with the front cat will result in soot clogging. I see this as unlikely as the cat is close enough to the turbo to stay hot/clean....anyone care to chime in?
Remember, my goal is dpf delete not nhrda ;-).
IMO, the cat will clean itself just fine. Info I've seen says it only needs 750 degrees to clean itself. With the smoke some of these guys have coming out of their trucks maybe it will clog faster, I don't know. But for the rest of us I don't believe it's a concern for a long time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
IMO, the cat will clean itself just fine. Info I've seen says it only needs 750 degrees to clean itself. With the smoke some of these guys have coming out of their trucks maybe it will clog faster, I don't know. But for the rest of us I don't believe it's a concern for a long time.
I agree...makes sense.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts