Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 01 24 valve, with stock turbo, and I haven't messed with the boost elbow or the wastegate, and I'm getting conflicting advice on how much PSI I should be seeing. I'm seeing that I'm boosting between 25-30 PSI, which is fine, but I'm getting a lot of people that are telling me there's no way my stock turbo should be able to go that high, and others telling me they've seen the same thing. Any opinions?

·
Registered
325 Posts
thats about right ive seen up to 51psi out of a stock turbo wouldnt recomnd it but ive seen it25-30 is about right

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
ya you dont want to go above 30 on a stock charger

·
Registered
6 Posts
100% stock my 01 with manual tranny would put out 18psi max, really hammering on it going uphill with a load on....With the Edge Comp and boost elbow I get 30-32 psi when I am mashing on it, normal acceleration makes about 20 psi give or take. If you go much above 35 or so you could run into problems with your head gaskets.....

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts
I've got a 01 24 valve, with stock turbo, and I haven't messed with the boost elbow or the wastegate, and I'm getting conflicting advice on how much PSI I should be seeing. I'm seeing that I'm boosting between 25-30 PSI, which is fine, but I'm getting a lot of people that are telling me there's no way my stock turbo should be able to go that high, and others telling me they've seen the same thing. Any opinions?
Stock fuel and stock turbo typically run up to 18-19 PSI...

Now with a boost elbow and a fueling box you can see upwards of 34-35 PSI typically.

I heard of much higher pressures too but not good for the turbo... :doh:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was curious about this. My '01 auto is stock and goes up to 25 PSI hammerdown with no mods...does anyone know what pressure it is supposed to wastegate at? I have a code for overboosting...maybe wastegate rusted shut?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I have a '01 as well, when stock boost was about 19-20 max floored and loaded, with the edge ez, and j-hook on gate, its 25-28 tops. Couldnt use the boost elbow on 2001, because its a solid metal line. stock is 18-19lbs.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
holy resurrection batman! lol, its' been a while since I was worried about my stock turbo, lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
The truck I bought supposedly pushes 36 PSI stock...just exhaust/downpipe, cutout airbox, and airdog...idk if the previous owner hooked up the pillar gauge wrong or what, I havent looked over it yet...but I dont see any way this is possible. Just installed an Edge with Hot tonight )this morning) so I guess I will find out today whether or not the gauge is accurate or not. (Didnt want to wake up the entire town with my straight pipe tonight) :)

Ill let you know how that turns out...or maybe they accidentally left a smarty tune on it before handing it over...who knows...hopefully im not re torquing my head bolts tomorrow...now just have to get my gov pressure solenoid problem taken care of and im set...

·
Registered
11 Posts
i was told that the stock turbo could never hurt the engine, and that if it gets over 50 lbs its bad. temps are more important. I removed the waistgate on mine and get 25 MAX. seems to help keep it above the 18 mark thought.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Edge confirms my ridiculous amount of boost on my stock turbo...im pushing over 40, set the tune to alert me at 40 and to defuel at 32, but it still hits it right of the bat...idk how or why my truck pushes so much boost...

·
Registered
32 Posts
i get 38 outta my stock turbo with only a smarty lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thats makes me feel a little better about going over 40 with just an edge and air dog...but what do i need to do to prevent problems with my motor/turbo from pushing so much boost on a stock truck. Im assuming I need to retorque my heads to a higher pressure first off...anyone? I have set up my edge to defuel at 32 psi and alert at 40 psi, but thats doesnt prevent it from getting that high in the first place if your mashing it...

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Check your wastegate. Max boost is not always max power. Over 35 psi and youre pushing hot air.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The Edge confirms my ridiculous amount of boost on my stock turbo...im pushing over 40, set the tune to alert me at 40 and to defuel at 32, but it still hits it right of the bat...idk how or why my truck pushes so much boost...
the third gens run higher boost stock.. you have an he351 turbo. us second gen trucks have either a hx35 or hy35. the ecm on our trucks automatically starts to defuel around around 20 psi on 2nd gens, and on third gens i think it might actually be right at that 30-35 mark you speak of.

·
Registered
10 Posts
over 40 psi still seems high for just an edge on mine, i know a couple people with 3rd gens and they arent moving that much boost...i just wanna know if i need to be taking some precautions...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I get 38 max with EFI i am sure it is pretty accurate as well because I have the CTS-3

1 - 18 of 18 Posts