Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With an 05 stock motor how many miles can you expect to get from a stock auto trans that has had dealer service every 30K in a truck ??

2nd question, with a Smarty Jr. on tow setting will a stock AT hold up towing 17,000 ??

·
Registered
162 Posts
My boos has a 05 with 185,000 miles onit , and is running edge with juice hot unlocked , and still no problem, with trans, and pullss his 36 foot trialer withit.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
my uncle almost has 190k on his 05....zero problems except a blown water pump. but other then that he has had zero problems with the entire drivetrain.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i have about 70,000 on mine. its starting to slip when i get on it, BUT its had a edge juice and now a smarty...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking about getting the 6spd for towing and have driven a few, but not sure I will be happy with the 6 spd getting in and out of town is usually stop and go. On my searching I found a nice clean 05 dually with an auto trans and it seems like a very nice stock truck. Truck has over 2 years and 30K miles left on the extended warranty so I might make him an offer from what it sounds. The Auto trans can last if taken care of. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
i have about 70,000 on mine. its starting to slip when i get on it, BUT its had a edge juice and now a smarty...
is your trany stock?

i recently picked up a smarty...love it!!!! but im running it on sw3. i have a stock auto, would it be safe to bump it up to sw5?

·
Registered
111 Posts
it is stock. Ive nearly stashed enough cash away to get my built Goerend. im stoked... i stick with sw3 90% of the time and every now and again ill bump it up to 5 or so. this is probably why its slipping haha... you can run it on 5, BUT youll have to be responsible with it and respect its power. I love the smarty! just remember this is my opinion on it and others may tell you different. its your call bro. just no boosted launches or HARD take offs and she'll make it for awhile. may be on borrowed time, but it will handle a good dose.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
ok sounds good man...ill just play it safe and keep it on sw3 till i upgrade the trany.

thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
oh, i also beat my tranny with the edge juice/attitude for a year before the smarty. mines been a LONGGG time coming. im just glad she lasted this long. good luck bud!

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
oh, i also beat my tranny with the edge juice/attitude for a year before the smarty. mines been a LONGGG time coming. im just glad she lasted this long. good luck bud!
my dad had an edge ez on the truck till he decided to sell it cause he saw the mpg's dropping :confused013: and now the truck is mine at 146k with the stock auto trany with a smarty...i wonder how long the trany is going to last now. lol

·
Registered
111 Posts
i pounded mine on 4-5 A LOT. pullin the boat and such. i can slip my tranny nearly anytime i want. just hammer down and she doesnt like it. slips till i let off. so, if it doesnt slip when you hammer, youre doing better than i am lol oh and this thread has been :hijack: !!!! sorry! :S:

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
yeah she isn't slipping yet! so thats good news i guess lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts