Cummins Diesel Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
I went with Toyo's. I had them on my F-350 and they worked well and they were in stock. Had them siped. We'll see if that does anything. Running 60 pounds in each corner right now. The ride is much improved and snow traction is much better than stock.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Here are the Toyo's for those that want to see what they look like. I do not feel like they changes the look much. Or at least much. Yeah, early snow, mag-chlorite and sand here on the front range in CO so everything is dirty.

Attachments

$52.00 for all 4 tires. They did the crown treads, not the side ones. So the center three I believe.

I was on the fence on the open country but after speaking with my brother and a few other people that had run then I decided against as all had switched to duratracs and didn’t like the open country’s winter traction. That said none of them had siping. They also said gravel destroyed the tire and that’s a lot of my driving. Which my duratracs have held up fine to.

Another thing that made it easier was $100 more a tire for Toyo. And my experience with the gy tire.

If the open country are a tire that is chosen then I think $52 is reasonable to pay for siping of 4 tires.

The loco poco runs duratrac on all their stuff and they seem to hold up fine. I’m curious to see how they hold up on my 3/4 ton.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
I don’t run on gravel hardly at all. Mostly pavement. They had a nice siping machine Les Schwab. Right by the viewing window and got to watch them do one tire. Interesting. Then i lost interest. I would have gone with the other tires if they had them in stock. I was just jammed for time and had experience with Tokyo’s that made me comfortable making the call. They do ride much nicer.

I've got a mega cab and I've had two sets of Duratracs (285/60R20) on it. First set went 35k miles and they were done. I got a good deal on both sets or I wouldn't be running them. The snow performance is pretty laughable. The spin all the time, I have turn the traction control off just to ease the clutch out in 2nd so it'll move when there's any amount of snow on the ground. I have 35" mud tires on my 06 Hemi and that truck does way better in snow than these Duratracs. We got 8" of snow a month ago and the Duratracs couldn't move my Mega cab in 2wd. My Hemi walked right out in 2wd. My wife prefers driving our 06 Hemi on the mud tires to the diesel on Duratracs even in just a dusting of snow. Very disappointed overall when an all out mud tire outperforms the Duratrac in snow.

And as far as off road traction, it is poor, they don't self clean and the truck just struggles in anything wet. I don't off road this truck but do end up in soft soil when camping with my fifth wheel and it's not good. I'll never recommend Duratracs after these two sets.

I've got a mega cab and I've had two sets of Duratracs (285/60R20) on it. First set went 35k miles and they were done. I got a good deal on both sets or I wouldn't be running them. The snow performance is pretty laughable. The spin all the time, I have turn the traction control off just to ease the clutch out in 2nd so it'll move when there's any amount of snow on the ground. I have 35" mud tires on my 06 Hemi and that truck does way better in snow than these Duratracs. We got 8" of snow a month ago and the Duratracs couldn't move my Mega cab in 2wd. My Hemi walked right out in 2wd. My wife prefers driving our 06 Hemi on the mud tires to the diesel on Duratracs even in just a dusting of snow. Very disappointed overall when an all out mud tire outperforms the Duratrac in snow.

And as far as off road traction, it is poor, they don't self clean and the truck just struggles in anything wet. I don't off road this truck but do end up in soft soil when camping with my fifth wheel and it's not good. I'll never recommend Duratracs after these two sets.

Ease the clutch out in 2nd with traction off? Lol I’ve run duratracs on my last 3 trucks and they are wicked in snow and on ice and decent in the mud when I go hunting. Not like a mud tire obviously but wheel speed will keep them clean.

I don’t think they are that bad. Your Mega also weighs more on the front end(assuming diesel) than your hemi. So in 2wd it would be harder to get rolling.

Maybe you need to learn how to operate the pedal because I don’t have any issue and I try to make it spin sometimes to see how slippery the road is.

Ease the clutch out in 2nd with traction off? Lol I’ve run duratracs on my last 3 trucks and they are wicked in snow and on ice and decent in the mud when I go hunting. Not like a mud tire obviously but wheel speed will keep them clean.

I don’t think they are that bad. Your Mega also weighs more on the front end(assuming diesel) than your hemi. So in 2wd it would be harder to get rolling.

Maybe you need to learn how to operate the pedal because I don’t have any issue and I try to make it spin sometimes to see how slippery the road is.
In snow with my Mega I give it no throttle and just ease the clutch out and I'll get traction intervention if it's anything but hard pack. Any kind of slush or wet snow and it'll engage tsc. With tsc off it'll spin for a bit and eventually bite, then I'll feed it throttle. I am deleted, but if I go WOT in any snow it'll spin bad at almost any speed above 1600rpm. The Duratracs are better than the OEM Transforce, but that's the only tire I'd say they are better than.

And not to derail since this is a snow thread, but here's their wet ground performance. And I was in 4Hi, traction off and 3rd gear WOT. Got saved by a tractor.

Attachments

In snow with my Mega I give it no throttle and just ease the clutch out and I'll get traction intervention if it's anything but hard pack. Any kind of slush or wet snow and it'll engage tsc. With tsc off it'll spin for a bit and eventually bite, then I'll feed it throttle. I am deleted, but if I go WOT in any snow it'll spin bad at almost any speed above 1600rpm. The Duratracs are better than the OEM Transforce, but that's the only tire I'd say they are better than.

And not to derail since this is a snow thread, but here's their wet ground performance. And I was in 4Hi, traction off and 3rd gear WOT. Got saved by a tractor.
No wonder you were stuck, you look clearly buried up to - well nothing actually :). I had Duratracs on my 2002 1500 and wasn't impressed with their winter performance, I never really had it off-road to see how they did there.

Reactions: Jimmy N.
Not by specific experience, but strictly by what makes a tire design better for snow and ice, the Toyo CT is almost assuredly NOT better than the AT in snow.

Sipe them though and they might/should be good to very good.

From just looking at them, the CTs:
Pros: Decent void ratio
Decent lateral traction
Deep tread depth (when new)

Cons:
"Commercial grade" = hard compound
Not much factory siping

FWIW, siped Toyo ATs are great in snow, as are "most" other semi aggressive AT treads, if factory or aftermarket siping is considerable.

I currently have 4 sets of Duratracs, 2 sets studded, 1 set is center siped and studded and two summer only with no studs or additional sipes. They are hands down the best AT tire for winter driving I have ever used. The only con is they do wear fast and much faster if over or under inflated. The set that is center siped and studded is very, very good on ice and snow.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.