Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Stock 20's Best Winter/All Around Tire

4K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  USMC8511 
#1 ·
Looking to replace the stock LT285 60 R20's on my 2019 Ram 2500. I live where we get quite a bit of snow and run dirt roads occasionally. Thinking of either the BF Goodrich AT KO2's or the General Grabber A/TX's. Thoughts are greatly appreciated.

#5 ·
Lots of different definitions for "best", but since you're not wanting winter only tires, studs are out of the question.
Yes BFG ATs are great in snow for about the first 50% of their tread life and then fall off, not unlike most other tires.
My personal favorite for "best" in snow, ice, deep snow and summer as well, on and off road is find a set of deep lug mud tires. Not talking swampers, just normal mud terrains. Sipe the treads, center rows only, not the outside row on each side of the tire.
Aside from the noise of mud tires when you're on dry pavement, they fit the bill as good as most any other tire, and do better in deeper soft snow than AT treads.
Goodyear Duratacs are about the close-est rendition of what I'm describing, without having them siped separately. Ran a set of those in the winter on the Western Slope and they were great as well.

#6 ·
I've had great luck on all my trucks with Toyo Open Country AT's. They are plenty quiet and get great traction in the snow. Putting a set of 35X12.50X20's on my truck tomorrow. I'll report back on noise over stock, but my experience has always been that they aren't much louder than stock.

#13 ·
Sorry, I completely forgot about taking a picture today.

But it really shouldn't matter, I'd think, as the tire looks like it does whether I take one or if looking at one of the ones all over the internet.

Besides, I know very few people that can predict a tire's performance based on how the tread looks. They generally want to know about the compounds used and other important factors before making a prediction.

#21 ·
I went with Toyo's. I had them on my F-350 and they worked well and they were in stock. Had them siped. We'll see if that does anything. Running 60 pounds in each corner right now. The ride is much improved and snow traction is much better than stock.

#24 ·
Here are the Toyo's for those that want to see what they look like. I do not feel like they changes the look much. Or at least much. Yeah, early snow, mag-chlorite and sand here on the front range in CO so everything is dirty.

Attachments

#27 ·
I don’t run on gravel hardly at all. Mostly pavement. They had a nice siping machine Les Schwab. Right by the viewing window and got to watch them do one tire. Interesting. Then i lost interest. I would have gone with the other tires if they had them in stock. I was just jammed for time and had experience with Tokyo’s that made me comfortable making the call. They do ride much nicer.

#28 ·
I've got a mega cab and I've had two sets of Duratracs (285/60R20) on it. First set went 35k miles and they were done. I got a good deal on both sets or I wouldn't be running them. The snow performance is pretty laughable. The spin all the time, I have turn the traction control off just to ease the clutch out in 2nd so it'll move when there's any amount of snow on the ground. I have 35" mud tires on my 06 Hemi and that truck does way better in snow than these Duratracs. We got 8" of snow a month ago and the Duratracs couldn't move my Mega cab in 2wd. My Hemi walked right out in 2wd. My wife prefers driving our 06 Hemi on the mud tires to the diesel on Duratracs even in just a dusting of snow. Very disappointed overall when an all out mud tire outperforms the Duratrac in snow.

And as far as off road traction, it is poor, they don't self clean and the truck just struggles in anything wet. I don't off road this truck but do end up in soft soil when camping with my fifth wheel and it's not good. I'll never recommend Duratracs after these two sets.

#29 ·
I've got a mega cab and I've had two sets of Duratracs (285/60R20) on it. First set went 35k miles and they were done. I got a good deal on both sets or I wouldn't be running them. The snow performance is pretty laughable. The spin all the time, I have turn the traction control off just to ease the clutch out in 2nd so it'll move when there's any amount of snow on the ground. I have 35" mud tires on my 06 Hemi and that truck does way better in snow than these Duratracs. We got 8" of snow a month ago and the Duratracs couldn't move my Mega cab in 2wd. My Hemi walked right out in 2wd. My wife prefers driving our 06 Hemi on the mud tires to the diesel on Duratracs even in just a dusting of snow. Very disappointed overall when an all out mud tire outperforms the Duratrac in snow.

And as far as off road traction, it is poor, they don't self clean and the truck just struggles in anything wet. I don't off road this truck but do end up in soft soil when camping with my fifth wheel and it's not good. I'll never recommend Duratracs after these two sets.

Ease the clutch out in 2nd with traction off? Lol I’ve run duratracs on my last 3 trucks and they are wicked in snow and on ice and decent in the mud when I go hunting. Not like a mud tire obviously but wheel speed will keep them clean.

I don’t think they are that bad. Your Mega also weighs more on the front end(assuming diesel) than your hemi. So in 2wd it would be harder to get rolling.

Maybe you need to learn how to operate the pedal because I don’t have any issue and I try to make it spin sometimes to see how slippery the road is.

#32 ·
Not by specific experience, but strictly by what makes a tire design better for snow and ice, the Toyo CT is almost assuredly NOT better than the AT in snow.

Sipe them though and they might/should be good to very good.

From just looking at them, the CTs:
Pros: Decent void ratio
Decent lateral traction
Deep tread depth (when new)

Cons:
"Commercial grade" = hard compound
Not much factory siping

FWIW, siped Toyo ATs are great in snow, as are "most" other semi aggressive AT treads, if factory or aftermarket siping is considerable.

#33 ·
I currently have 4 sets of Duratracs, 2 sets studded, 1 set is center siped and studded and two summer only with no studs or additional sipes. They are hands down the best AT tire for winter driving I have ever used. The only con is they do wear fast and much faster if over or under inflated. The set that is center siped and studded is very, very good on ice and snow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.