Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace the stock LT285 60 R20's on my 2019 Ram 2500. I live where we get quite a bit of snow and run dirt roads occasionally. Thinking of either the BF Goodrich AT KO2's or the General Grabber A/TX's. Thoughts are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Cooper AT3 XLT's very happy with them

·
Registered
214 Posts
Falken Wildpeak at3w, Duratrac or cooper St Maxx siped.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Bf at are junk imo.

Goodyear duratrac is what I just put on. Had on my last couple trucks and lasted good and wore real well. Better in snow and ice than the fallen will be imo.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Lots of different definitions for "best", but since you're not wanting winter only tires, studs are out of the question.
Yes BFG ATs are great in snow for about the first 50% of their tread life and then fall off, not unlike most other tires.
My personal favorite for "best" in snow, ice, deep snow and summer as well, on and off road is find a set of deep lug mud tires. Not talking swampers, just normal mud terrains. Sipe the treads, center rows only, not the outside row on each side of the tire.
Aside from the noise of mud tires when you're on dry pavement, they fit the bill as good as most any other tire, and do better in deeper soft snow than AT treads.
Goodyear Duratacs are about the close-est rendition of what I'm describing, without having them siped separately. Ran a set of those in the winter on the Western Slope and they were great as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had great luck on all my trucks with Toyo Open Country AT's. They are plenty quiet and get great traction in the snow. Putting a set of 35X12.50X20's on my truck tomorrow. I'll report back on noise over stock, but my experience has always been that they aren't much louder than stock.

·
Registered
13,321 Posts
I've had great luck on all my trucks with Toyo Open Country AT's. They are plenty quiet and get great traction in the snow. Putting a set of 35X12.50X20's on my truck tomorrow. I'll report back on noise over stock, but my experience has always been that they aren't much louder than stock.
I would think that the Toyo C/T could be better yet. At least I've had very good luck with that tire, and the snow performance is impressive.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Looking to replace the stock LT285 60 R20's on my 2019 Ram 2500. I live where we get quite a bit of snow and run dirt roads occasionally. Thinking of either the BF Goodrich AT KO2's or the General Grabber A/TX's. Thoughts are greatly appreciated.
I just put on a set of 285/70/17 General Grabber ATX's and they are a tank in the snow.
Highly recommended so far, tire rack has these tires rated #1 in winter/snow/ice.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I would think that the Toyo C/T could be better yet. At least I've had very good luck with that tire, and the snow performance is impressive.
I have the C/Ts on my truck. Here is far northern Vermont I have no trouble in the snow. I don’t have studs so ice is still tricky to get around on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the C/Ts on my truck. Here is far northern Vermont I have no trouble in the snow. I don’t have studs so ice is still tricky to get around on.
Pictures by chance?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Pictures by chance?
I have snow, ice, dirt, and road salt all over my truck now. Unfortunately, it will be like that until spring so I am not taking pictures any time soon. Maybe someone else has some.

·
Registered
13,321 Posts
Sorry, I completely forgot about taking a picture today.

But it really shouldn't matter, I'd think, as the tire looks like it does whether I take one or if looking at one of the ones all over the internet.

Besides, I know very few people that can predict a tire's performance based on how the tread looks. They generally want to know about the compounds used and other important factors before making a prediction.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you can't find them on Toyo's web site, I can take one and post it.
I know what they look like, I just wanted to see one on a truck that's almost identical to mine (with the exception of the 3500 and long bed).

·
Registered
13,321 Posts
I know what they look like, I just wanted to see one on a truck that's almost identical to mine (with the exception of the 3500 and long bed).
I was afraid you'd say something like that.
Now I'm curious why the heck it matters what a tire looks like, let alone on a particular vehicle?

Either a tire works well for its intended purpose, or it doesn't. Yes, there are tires that look pretty damn goofy, but work really well. So that's what I run in some cases.

Then there are tires that "look good" but don't work particularly well in any application. Guess what, I don't have any of those.

This thread is called "Best Winter/All Around Tire" for a reason. It's "best", not "best looking". Or at least that's how I interpreted it.
In other words, the goal here is function. You seem to pursue other qualities, more taste related. That's partially why so many obscure Chinese brands exist.

Reactions: Cummins0867

·
Registered
1,590 Posts

Now I'm curious why the heck it matters what a tire looks like, let alone on a particular vehicle?

Either a tire works well for its intended purpose, or it doesn't. Yes, there are tires that look pretty damn goofy, but work really well. So that's what I run in some cases.

Then there are tires that "look good" but don't work particularly well in any application. Guess what, I don't have any of those.

This thread is called "Best Winter/All Around Tire" for a reason. It's "best", not "best looking". Or at least that's how I interpreted it.

In other words, the goal here is function. You seem to pursue other qualities, more taste related. That's partially why so many obscure Chinese brands exist.

The open country ct is an ok tire. Don’t like the look of it myself. Wouldn’t be my choice for winter.

Hands down the duratrac is one of the best all year tires and looks pretty good too. And usually well priced.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts

Jimmy now you know it is how cool it looks, performance is a distant second.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Why does it matter to you? Am I not allowed to see what it looks like on a very similar truck to mine? Should I consult you before everything I intend to look at, or buy for my truck?

I asked a simple question, not to be lectured.

·
Registered
13,321 Posts
Should I consult you before everything I intend to look at, or buy for my truck?
If you don't want my or others' opinions, or facts, don't ask. Very simple, really.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you don't want my or others' opinions, or facts, don't ask. Very simple, really.
I didn't ask for your opinion, or others on that post. Rather, I asked for a picture from another member. It is that simple and I got it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts