Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a 17X8 03-05 stock Chrome Steel Wheel fit my 97 2500 with no backspace or offset issues?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
After reading even more i think i have put some things together and I will now try to answer my own post.

stock 16x6.5 rims that came on my 97 2500 have a Backspace of 4.75" "I think" with an offset around 38mm

stock 17x8 03-05 rims "I think" have a backspace of 6.25" which makes the offset around 57mm

In English this means the stock 97 and 03-05 rim would hang out of the wheel well the same but the 03-05 rim would protrude into the wheel well more. Not a big deal it just means you could not run as tall of a tire on the 17x8 rim as you could on the older thinner 16x6.5 rim without it rubbing.

Is this statement right????? Am I even close?

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
They will fit with no problems. I sold a set to a guy with a 96 or 97 and they fit perfectly. If you go to bigger than stock tires then I'm not sure how well they will work.

·
I wanna go fast...
3,475 Posts
After reading even more i think i have put some things together and I will now try to answer my own post.

stock 16x6.5 rims that came on my 97 2500 have a Backspace of 4.75" "I think" with an offset around 38mm

stock 17x8 03-05 rims "I think" have a backspace of 6.25" which makes the offset around 57mm

In English this means the stock 97 and 03-05 rim would hang out of the wheel well the same but the 03-05 rim would protrude into the wheel well more. Not a big deal it just means you could not run as tall of a tire on the 17x8 rim as you could on the older thinner 16x6.5 rim without it rubbing.

Is this statement right????? Am I even close?
Ok, you went over my head with all of the mumbo jumbo :thud: But here is the scoop.

If you install that wheel with stock or a little larger tire, they will clear...But 295's and up will rub the control arms because it is set in so far. Also, the rear center caps will hit the axle bolts and not let it bottom out. You can either change the bolts, or use your old style center caps...Hope this helped.:thumbsup

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it does help thanks guys.

I want to put a 33" tall tire like a 255/85R16 so I can go down the Hwy at a lower Rpm. I was hoping I could get a 33" on my truck with a newer 17" rim but I think that is not happening with out a lift.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts