Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After using the "search" and reading around 200 posts I've got some things sorted out but still have some questions.I need a turbo for my truck. I just added a set of DDP150's and this summer I'll be towing an 8000lb trailer a couple of times. I live at 4000ft and the passes around here are about 6000ft.
I decided I need a 62mm turbo with a 12cm housing (I think) and I can't decide if I need a 65mm or 71mm turbine?
What difference would be noticed between a 12cm or 13cm housing?
And finally, what is the safe max. boost before installing studs? And what is the safe max. boost with studs before o-ringing?
Thanks.

· Registered
2,339 Posts
I'd like to hear about this too. And what brands are cheap but do the job! I'm such a tighta%# :hehe::hehe:.

· Premium Member
8,065 Posts
I dont think the 71 wheel comes in a 12 housing unless custom. The 71 wheel also slows spool but adds to top end. At altitude, the 62/71/14 will be a pig on your truck IMO. 45psi is the general rule but some hold more some less. comp ratio/timing/fueling/density/temp all play a role too.
with studs, 55psi is fine and w/Orings can hold 75psi+ again, depends. I have been over 80psi several times with 2k arps and orings but I also have a .020HG and 110 springs.

· Premium Member
8,065 Posts

· Registered
2,339 Posts
for what?:confused013:
For a 62. I'm pretty cheap, not much money in the purse for me to be spending on turbos. The price of a fairly decent 62 will direct me to whether I want to get 100's or 150's right now with my hx. I don't tow much. Looking for only performance gains to play around. :party018: Anything else you need to know just ask, its much appreciated if you can direct me to any 62 turbo! :yourock:

· Premium Member
8,065 Posts
DieselAutoPower.com
He has s300s and you can also ask him about 3rd gen HE351 swap if you are so inclined. little more effort but cheaper.

· Registered
2,339 Posts
DieselAutoPower.com
He has s300s and you can also ask him about 3rd gen HE351 swap if you are so inclined. little more effort but cheaper.
Thanks.

So if an S300 is over $1k, would it be cheaper to just twin my hx35 with a ht3b?

· Premium Member
8,065 Posts
Thanks.

So if an S300 is over $1k, would it be cheaper to just twin my hx35 with a ht3b?
$1k for S300 or $1800 for 35/3B. which is cheaper? Hmmmm...:$:

Talk to Jacob, he often has deals not listed on the site.

· Registered
2,339 Posts
Alright, thanks. Didn't realize the twins would be 1800. Anything over 800 is too much for me as of right now. I'll be looking for 100's instead of 150's. Again, thanks. This cleared up a lot of my problems.

· Registered
1,534 Posts
Well dont buy a smaller injector because you dont have the money. I dont think you want 100 hp injector with a 62.

· Registered
918 Posts
Why would you NOT want a 62 with a 100 horse injector? This is a very good combo depending on the turbine wheel. A 62/65 runs awesome with 100s as a 62/71 runs good with 150s.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would towing still be possible on a 62/65/12 with my mods? How good would a 62/71/13 be as a daily driver? Or would it be too big for me?

· Sasquatch
3,788 Posts
Would towing still be possible on a 62/65/12 with my mods? How good would a 62/71/13 be as a daily driver? Or would it be too big for me?
62/65/12 and 62/71/13 would be very good turbos for towing and for daily driving. The 62/71/13 would be good for daily driving but it would be a little more laggy and overkill unless if you have some decent size injectors.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks I guess I forgot to put that I just got some DDP150's. Just updated my sig. I guess I'm just a little concerned that if I get a 62/65/12 it will get to hot when towing. And if I get a 62/71/13 or 14 it'll be way too laggy for me. But I really have no clue.

· Registered
223 Posts
i ran the 150's with my 62/71/14 for about 4 days before i made my twins, and it was great dang fast spool by my standards and i only pulled 5klbs with it and it was nice, didnt get to hot.

Matt

· Registered
7,762 Posts
For all around drivability while towing....do you need one that will spool quick or one that will spool slow but finally get going if you keep your foot in it a while?

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess I was kind of thinking backwards. So for good towing do you need a turbo that will have a higher boost number at a lower rpm or vice versa?

· Registered
9,857 Posts
for towing you want a faster spool up so you have the power to tow...our trucks have almost no power what so ever without boost..once boost comes in, thats when they start pullin and coolin off. twins are the best for towing because you get the quick spool up and once the primary turbo catches up you get the higher boost levels to keep everything cooled down. nothing beats twins for towing...other than maybe triplets :thumbsup: how are those by the way turbolvr??? got any pics?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.