Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Ive read through about a million threads and i cant seem to find one that fits my situation. I lost my power steering and brakes and replaced the power steering pump, it worked for one day and then the next I was right back where I started. I figured maybe a new pump was too much on an old vacuum pump and that went. Now I replaced the vacuum pump too and still have no steering or brakes. Ive been bleeding it for about 2 days now trying to get it right, I think I might have screwed up the new PS unit when I got it because it did work but then stopped. My question is do you think i need to keep bleeding or could I possibly have a bad hydroboost?

·
Premium Member
12,050 Posts
have you tried loosing a pressure hose while running? This allow fluid to move and start pumping sometimes.
you should be using PS fluid, not ATF. I buy a gallon of Valvoline PS at parts store.
Will PM my normal ps noise fix for information.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
if it was your hydroboost you would still have PS. I would pull the pump and inspect the gear shaft closely.

·
Registered
217 Posts
My hydrobooster went out a while back but I never lost steering or brakes. My brakes were locking up. I eventually replaced the hydobooster but put the rod and retainer in the wrong way on the inside of the hydrobooster. We were bleeding the power steering system for weeks at a time. I then had a leak in the power steering gear. I replaced that and fixed the rod and retainer in the hydrobooster which finally solved the problem. Once you have everything back to normal you do not need to bleed the system. It is a self bleeding system. If you look up all my post on here from that time you might see something familiar that may help you find the problem. Send me an IM if you replace the hydrobooster. You have to reuse the rod/retainer from your old one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks everyone, Im going to get power steering fluid today and try damn near everything yall said to try and get it moving again. I hope it works because im heading up to Ithaca for a rigging job and since were supposed to get more snow it would be nice to take that up instead of my vw, hah.

·
Registered
13,895 Posts
did the power steering drive shaft break. we had to replace the gear drive on an 01 dually a couple of years ago because they guy ran it out of power steering fluid and locked the pump up and it sheared the the pin on the gear drive when it did it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So, I just had this happen to me.

Not sure yet were to start, but I guess I'll have to dig into it head first. I don't know a lot about hydro boost, since inn have never had one before this. Is the pump gear driven? Is there a shear pin?

Seemed kinda strange, it was working just fine, and I steered all the way to the left lock, started moving and about 90 degrees through a 180 turn, the front end lurched and it was gone. Had to drive it home strong arm, and leg.

·
Registered
34 Posts
mine went out a few weeks ago, it was a new reman, found out it was the drive coupler slipping on pump shaft

·
Registered
246 Posts
So, I just had this happen to me.

Not sure yet were to start, but I guess I'll have to dig into it head first. I don't know a lot about hydro boost, since inn have never had one before this. Is the pump gear driven? Is there a shear pin?

Seemed kinda strange, it was working just fine, and I steered all the way to the left lock, started moving and about 90 degrees through a 180 turn, the front end lurched and it was gone. Had to drive it home strong arm, and leg.
Other things I didnt see mentioned:
-sucking a supply hose closed
-bits of metal getting in and sticking the piston in the pump. Piston is just behind the pressure fitting in the pump
-junk getting into the small orofice in the pump fitting, thus causing the pump never to gain much pressure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Swapped out the pump and all is good.

I actually sheared the shaft. After pulling the pump, I turned the shaft to see what it did, and nothing. I was able to pull the shaft completely out of the pump.

On a side note, the pump has been whining during warm up. That's gone now too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.