Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Steering

728 5
I have a 2001 ram 2500 4wd with 118k and I took it to the alignment shop to get it aligned and they told me the front end looks good but I need a new inner tie rod end at the the pitman arm. They said they wanted 380 to replace the pitman arm and the inner tie rod. Well I can do it in an hour so my question is do you really need to replace the pitman arm? They said the hole the tie rod end slides into could be wore out a little. Dodge says this is not a wear item so my question is should I order a new one when I order the inner tie rod end or not worry about it unless I cant get the new tie rod end tightened? :confused013:
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,216 Posts
I dont see why you would need a new pitman arm. unless you have been running on a bad joint for several thousand miles. then i could see that possibly the joint is flexing so much that it will mangle the bore. I would just suggest removing the inner tierod and see how it goes in. I know on mine with 98k i had one hell of the a time trying to remove the factory inner from the pitman arm.

· Registered
26 Posts
the pitman arm bore should never wear out it tapered so the tie rod joint seats and if its been tightened properly it should never move so i would not worry with the pitman arm unless the nut was loose on the tie rod shaft

· Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I am right in my thinking I have never heard of a pitman arm needing replaced other than lifting purposes.

· Registered
5,648 Posts
I'd instal the tierod end, tighten it down have someone turn the wheel while you look for play, if it appears tight keep an eye on it after a week or two, my guess is that it will be fine, it would have to be worn pretty bad to not hold a tierod end, and it would be quite visiable

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.