Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys
Newbie Here,I have been following this forum for quite a while and love all the info i've been receiving.I have a problem I cant figure it out and could really use some help.
I have a 2005 ram with 48000 km and a have a steering wobble at low speeds taking corners.Truck drives real straight other wise.
Checked ball joints ....all is good.Replaced belt and tentioner pully thinking the belt may be slipping but problem still there.
Very low K on the truck so im hoping someone might know what the problem is.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are the tires like and how is the inflation?
Tires are good and i rotated the back to the front and still the same problem.
This is driving me crazy.
I was thinking stabalizer shock maybe?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it 4x4 and does it have a Steering box brace?
Yes it's a 4x4. not sure about the steering box brace.
Do all 4x4s have a steering box brace.?

·
Registered
124 Posts
if you had a brace on it, you'd know it. its an aftermarket piece designed to elininate steering shaft flex. also, check your trackbar bushings, most likely the cause of your problem. got a set of moog replacements from o'reilly for less than $20. no problems with them yet...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you had a brace on it, you'd know it. its an aftermarket piece designed to elininate steering shaft flex. also, check your trackbar bushings, most likely the cause of your problem. got a set of moog replacements from o'reilly for less than $20. no problems with them yet...
The truck is all stock.
nothing has been done to it .

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
You have an axel u-joint that is failing.

Jack it up and rotate the tire with wheels turned and you can determine which one as you can feel the u-joint locking up. I replaced both when mine started the same steering wheel wobble.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have an axel u-joint that is failing.

Jack it up and rotate the tire with wheels turned and you can determine which one as you can feel the u-joint locking up. I replaced both when mine started the same steering wheel wobble.
Did yours just wobble when you were making a slow turn.Other than that she drives dead straight.
How hard are the u-joints to change?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey WALTEC! Did you ever figure out and fix your problem?

My truck recently started doing the same thing. I actually noticed a little vibration at highway speeds in a gradual turn. The slow speed when turning is where the sterring wheel starts bouncing from left to right. Not horrible, but enough to be annoying. I've also noticed a squeak in the right front tire at those same slow speeds. All this started within the last two weeks. Truck is an 07.5 with 85k miles. All stock except tires. I'm running 315/70/17 Kelley TSRs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey WALTEC! Did you ever figure out and fix your problem?

My truck recently started doing the same thing. I actually noticed a little vibration at highway speeds in a gradual turn. The slow speed when turning is where the sterring wheel starts bouncing from left to right. Not horrible, but enough to be annoying. I've also noticed a squeak in the right front tire at those same slow speeds. All this started within the last two weeks. Truck is an 07.5 with 85k miles. All stock except tires. I'm running 315/70/17 Kelley TSRs.
Yes i did.Believe or not both axle u-joints were toast.Replaced them both and the truck drives perfect.
Not to hard to do but you need a press to get the olds ones out.....rusted right in there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts