Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i am doing a u-turn or just simply turning, most of the time my steering wheel will lock up and is impossible to turn. I have to hit the brakes and completely stop until it will free up again.

Power steering fluid is full
belt is tight
285/75/R15

I cant figure out what's going on.

Anyone ever have this problem

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
How do you fit 15" rims over your brakes? Maybe your rims are banging on something and preventing you from turning?

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
yeah something is locking up with your 15 inch rims, last i knew you couldn't go smaller than a 16 on a 03 and up truck

·
Registered
571 Posts
When i am doing a u-turn or just simply turning, most of the time my steering wheel will lock up and is impossible to turn. I have to hit the brakes and completely stop until it will free up again.

Power steering fluid is full
belt is tight
285/75/R15

I cant figure out what's going on.

Anyone ever have this problem
Yep I had that same problem, a little hairy when you have to drive through a mountain pass every day. I had to get the steering box changed out.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
yeah....that's not normal! lol. good luck with that one!

·
Registered
61 Posts
My dad is having the same problem with his 07 let me know if you figure anything out (he has bigger after market 18" wheels so i don't think thats the problem)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, huge mistake. I meant to put 17, wow.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Are these steering systems vaccuum assist? My money says there's something wrong with the vaccuum assist when you brake to make the turn. I had the same problem with my ford. Felt like my power steering went out when turning at low speeds.

·
Registered
278 Posts
i had the same thing happen to me on my 04.5 and it was my steering stabilizer. i had gone over a curb and put a slight bend in it and it did the exact same thing your explaining. just a thought.!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts