Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i get a jerk in the steering wheel when i drive down the road.. the steering will will jerk to the left...dont know if its power steering pump or someting else...any ideas?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
It could be the ps box, not the pump. The steering flexes a shaft which controls the hydraulic flow, and if a seal is leaking, it can direct flow to steer to one side. Usually this will be affected by engine speed fairly consistently as the flow/pressure goes up and down.

However, I would take a look at your left axleshaft universal joint as it is constantly rotating. It could be binding up and causing a jerk of the wheel.

I would also take a look at all the balljoints/tierods etc. And maybe even consider the front diff if it has had any interesting use lately. Peices of metal could be going through the spider gears which would not lock the wheel, but would lock the carrier and the inertia would breifly jerk the wheel.

Could be lots of things.:confused:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh i kno man....also when i brake and turn the steering wheel will gring and my steering line is hott...wonder if it is the hydroboost steering assist system?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts