Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 2500 ccsb 4x4. I have approximately 4 inches of steering wheel free play/slop was wondering if this is normal. About 50k miles. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
332 Posts
This is not normal. You either have worn steering components or the steering gearbox is worn or out of adjustment. Is the truck lifted? A lift that is not done correctly can cause anomaly like you describe.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Have you gotten the drag link recall done?? I would have it checked out something is not right.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Factory spec is no more than 2" of play.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
I have a 2017 2500 ccsb 4x4. I have approximately 4 inches of steering wheel free play/slop was wondering if this is normal. About 50k miles. Thanks in advance.

can you determine if it's before the steering box, as in have someone move the wheel back and forth within the sloppy tolerances and see if the shaft engages the box, if the steering wheel and shaft to the box is tight then it may be in the box, if the box is tight check tie rod ends. i've mentioned it before but i put bushings in the shaft joint and adjusted the steering box and it almost all went away

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is in the steering gear box. Had a friend turn the steering wheel. The Input shaft of the box turning with out moving the sector shaft/pitman arm. Got an appointment with the dealer next week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts