Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 2500 ccsb 4x4. I have approximately 4 inches of steering wheel free play/slop was wondering if this is normal. About 50k miles. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
387 Posts
This is not normal. You either have worn steering components or the steering gearbox is worn or out of adjustment. Is the truck lifted? A lift that is not done correctly can cause anomaly like you describe.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Have you gotten the drag link recall done?? I would have it checked out something is not right.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Factory spec is no more than 2" of play.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I have a 2017 2500 ccsb 4x4. I have approximately 4 inches of steering wheel free play/slop was wondering if this is normal. About 50k miles. Thanks in advance.

can you determine if it's before the steering box, as in have someone move the wheel back and forth within the sloppy tolerances and see if the shaft engages the box, if the steering wheel and shaft to the box is tight then it may be in the box, if the box is tight check tie rod ends. i've mentioned it before but i put bushings in the shaft joint and adjusted the steering box and it almost all went away

Reactions: Dok_M

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is in the steering gear box. Had a friend turn the steering wheel. The Input shaft of the box turning with out moving the sector shaft/pitman arm. Got an appointment with the dealer next week.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Factory spec is no more than 2" of play.
Factory Spec is no more than 2"! I never had 2" of free play in our 2001 Laramie 2500 with 315,000 miles, about an 1.5" when we bought it with 234,000 miles which was soon fixed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had truck at dealer today they said steering gearbox has to much play and they are going to replace it under warranty. Also the drag link joint at the pitman arm has some play and is popping. They will are going to replace the whole drag link assembly when they change out the gearbox. Unfortunately drag link is not covered under warranty.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
why is it not?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I asked they said drag link is a wear item and since I have over 36,000 miles the extended warranty doesn’t cover that. Extended warranty does cover gearbox though.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Drag link is a wear item? Never heard that before.
On the other hand, hopefully you will get a new style drag link without the defective jam nut.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good news and bad news. Good news is I got the updated new drag link. Bad news is new gearbox had more play then my original box.. When tech test drove it with the new box he said that truck was all over the road and he was scared he might not make it back. So they reinstalled original and ordered another new one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts