Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 2500 has terrible steering wander. Its a constant struggle to keep it going straight down the road. The entire front end is new so I'm still confused what's causing it. Truck was aligned at a shop and is to dodge specs. Here's a list of what I replaced:

Carli Starter Kit
Carli upper and lower ball joints
Carli track bar
Dynatrac free spin kit
PCS 2010 Dodge steering box and brace
Carli control arms
New tires

Since all are new, my only thought is that the ball joints are causing the issue. After installing I noticed they seemed "tight" when turning by hand. I called and talked to Carli, but they said it sounded normal. My only other thought is that without the "centering" effect of the front axle spinning, I should add more caster to keep the truck tracking straight.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
371 Posts
New control arms, is it lifted? If so I would guess that caster is the problem and probably not within actual specs. There really isn't much of a way to change caster from the factory so they might not have dealt with it and left it where it is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New control arms, is it lifted? If so I would guess that caster is the problem and probably not within actual specs. There really isn't much of a way to change caster from the factory so they might not have dealt with it and left it where it is.
The front is 3 inches higher. I installed the kit, then took it to a shop to have it aligned. The printout showed it was within the spec range.
My first thought was caster was wrong before getting it to the shop. The truck does steer marginally better when front end is locked in. The spinning axle shafts and u-joints try to straighten, so I was ondering if the factory spec for caster was less than if it was not 4x4

·
Registered
4 Posts
0.7.5 updated steering and dual stabilizers.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
0.7.5 updated steering and dual stabilizers.
dual stablizers have nothing to do with correcting wander. Dual stablizers mainly mask a larger problem insted of fixing a problem at hand. The 08.5 steering upgrade is a good upgrade, espicaly for a truck battleing a death wobble issue, but for a truck with a wander issue it wont do much, unless the TRE's are badly worn on the old steering.

I suggest you look at the steering box even though you have a brace, go from there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
dual stablizers have nothing to do with correcting wander. Dual stablizers mainly mask a larger problem insted of fixing a problem at hand. The 08.5 steering upgrade is a good upgrade, espicaly for a truck battleing a death wobble issue, but for a truck with a wander issue it wont do much, unless the TRE's are badly worn on the old steering.

I suggest you look at the steering box even though you have a brace, go from there.
Ok steering master. I will keep my opinion to myself now....................
Anyways, i said stabilizers because he has a 3 inch which i would assume larger tires. larger tires = compounded steering problems. stabilizers help guarantee. as for masking problems? its a dodge front end, that is the problem all you can do is mask it! updated steering is for the worn out factory steering which i guarantee contributes to the wander. Seen how all the steering components are connected :O it all compounds into several problems, wander is usually the first.
I will say you are correct on one thing though, the steering box is also contributing to the wander, so the two options are adjusting it (which only helps slightly) or replacing it.

Anyways jeepboy seen how you got the rest of the front end nice and tight, i would suggest updated steering, stabilizers, and new steering box.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Ok steering master. I will keep my opinion to myself now....................
Anyways, i said stabilizers because he has a 3 inch which i would assume larger tires. larger tires = compounded steering problems. stabilizers help guarantee. as for masking problems? its a dodge front end, that is the problem all you can do is mask it! updated steering is for the worn out factory steering which i guarantee contributes to the wander. Seen how all the steering components are connected :O it all compounds into several problems, wander is usually the first.
I will say you are correct on one thing though, the steering box is also contributing to the wander, so the two options are adjusting it (which only helps slightly) or replacing it.

Anyways jeepboy seen how you got the rest of the front end nice and tight, i would suggest updated steering, stabilizers, and new steering box.
Im gonna have to disagree, I ran my 01 dodge on 38inch swampers with a single stablizer for 5 years... no problems, of course the entire front end was dialed in perfect. On my 04 I removed the factory stablizer to clear the mag hytec cover, no problems in 5 years either. On my 06 I still have the factory stablizer. Do a search on dual stablizer kits and stablizers on some different offroad web sites, you will get some conflicting info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im gonna have to disagree, I ran my 01 dodge on 38inch swampers with a single stablizer for 5 years... no problems, of course the entire front end was dialed in perfect. On my 04 I removed the factory stablizer to clear the mag hytec cover, no problems in 5 years either. On my 06 I still have the factory stablizer. Do a search on dual stablizer kits and stablizers on some different offroad web sites, you will get some conflicting info.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
I base my opinions off of Chrysler training and recommendations not what people say on an off road forum

·
Registered
322 Posts
track bar bushings.... with out a doubt

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the update steering and a brand new steering gearbox, did same behavior with old box too. I don't have big tires, still stock size. At this point I don't want to get larger tires until this steering issue is fixed. Track bar and bushings are all new. Everything except for the axle housing is completely new. So it seems either I need more caster angle, or the ball joints are in a bind. Carli said they should "break in"?

·
Registered
26 Posts
05 3500 SRW. Same problem with wandering. All new components, steering box, stock wheels & tires, and upgraded frontend. Dealer rolled the frontend back alittle, and that helped a ton. Problem is, now it feels like it is pushing when you drive it in the snow, like the frontend is sliding.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
I base my opinions off of Chrysler training and recommendations not what people say on an off road forum
Chrysler makes products that are cost-effective for them. This is not always the same as good engineering. A steering stabilizer can mask a lot of minor problems that can happen in a steering system, it is a very good thing to add to keep customers happy with a minimal amount of work or added expense. On the other hand, a properly designed and fabricated steering system does not need a steering stabilizer. As such, adding more stabilizers can mask even bigger 'inconsistencies' in a steering system. That does not mean that a steering stabilizer actually fixes anything.

You are very right to believe what Chrysler says over most of the internet. In this case, you are not looking at the whole picture though. It is a question of economics for them, not one of making the most well designed system.

Sort of like the super-duper-quad-shock kits you see on lifted trucks in some magazines: in almost every situation, a single shock that is properly set up can perform better than a dual shock system. It is sometimes easier to design using two shocks though. That does not mean that you should go out and add a second shock to your truck and immediately get better handling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts