Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to replace my steering stabilizer and am having trouble removing the existing one. The end that bolts through the tie rod, is it pressed? Thanks

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
take off your purse and get after it!! just kidding, smack the end of the shock with a bfh where the bolt goes through, it should wiggle loose from the jolt.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Spray some penetrating lubricant on it and let it sit an hour, then whack the side of the drag link at the tapered hole. It'll pop loose.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I was using pb blaster and hitting it on the threaded end. Not only were the threads beginning to mangle up, I couldn't get a very good angle with the hammer.

·
Registered
963 Posts
If it was me I would use a big hammer on the back side and use the penetrating oil and then hit it a good one that way you will not put stress on the other ends. It should pop out if not some times, just putting a bungee cord on it to put a little lift and then smack it. 8 pound back-up and 4 lbs to smack it. PLAY SAFE!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll give it a shot

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Got a pitman arm puller?

Im going to tackle mine here in a few days, I have one laying around(and just holding it up, it looks like it will work)
Ill let you know how it goes...

·
Registered
98 Posts
you need a pneumatic pickle fork hammer :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup :$::$::$::$:

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you use a "BFH" use a block of wood to deaden the blow a bit.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Well, pitman arm puller worked like a champ, kinda "popped" it out after I loaded it up, but worked great.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm having the same problem removing my old stabilizer, have tried all of the tricks listed in the thread and it still will not budge. Even heated it and beat on it from every direction. Any further advice from anyone?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I'm having the same problem removing my old stabilizer, have tried all of the tricks listed in the thread and it still will not budge. Even heated it and beat on it from every direction. Any further advice from anyone?
You try a pitman arm puller?

I just hit it up with aero kroil the day before, then used the pitman arm puller and it popped right out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
get a pickle fork if you can't hit it like that hammer was ment to hit things. Well either way good luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well it's off! What an ordeal! I did try the pitman arm puller, but after I had already pounded on it from every direction. I had to go buy one and when I tried to use it, it would not fit on the end of the bolt between the tie rod and the control arm. Had to take a grinder and cut the bolt off short to get it to fit, but it did finally do the trick.:thud:
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
50 Posts
get a pickle fork if you can't hit it like that hammer was ment to hit things. Well either way good luck.
Probably a good tool to have around, after laying under the truck half the day I'm thinking I'm going to have to throw some more money at the front end in the near future.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts