Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the other day i was towing a blazer on a tandem car hauler and was going 75 when i went over a expansion joint bridge and the front end shook so bad i thought it was falling off! i took it to tire rama and they said ball joints were shot but the steering looked good. so when i got home i jacked up the truck and stuck a prybar in next to the ball joints and tryed to get them to move...no movement. so i set the truck back down and had the girlfriend move the steering while i watched it and the tie rod end on the pitman arm and the crossover link??? are moving 1/4+ each!! my question is are the ends replaceable or do i have to buy whole new links? they look like they are pressed in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
unfortunately you are gonna have to get them as whole link setups, just recently did my whole front end. Ball joints and all the tie rods ran me about 600 bucks, but it is all moog.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where did you get your links from?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump. anyone else?

·
Registered
301 Posts
take it to the dealer tell them to fix the problem you should still be under the warranty. While there in there just update the system to the 08.5, If they try to shoot you down tell them exactly what happen and you will not accept this, and will go over there heads. do a search for death woble it will explain everything. Then research 08.5 update it will give you a little more info

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i took it in today and tried just that. and they said they could not do anything about it because it has 53,000 miles BUT>>> they would be gracious enough to sell me new steering. by time it was all said and done they got me for $380 for the 08.5 steering linkage and dampner.:bonk:

·
Registered
301 Posts
sounds like a good price, now get the steering box brace, beef up the steering stabilizer, and you should be done for a while. Do you have all the part numbers handy

·
Registered
247 Posts
BD maked a good Steering box stablizer, it seem to be built a little heavier. You wont belive the difference. ( i had one for a year and took it off to give to a friend to try and just about ditched it that afternoon.) worth the money!!!

steering wobble seems to be worst when pulling a bumper hitch trailer with lots of hitch down force.

hows that 8.5 steering working for you?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i installed the linkages yesterday and i get it aligned in about an hour i will let you know when its done. i think its funny how dodge went away from the crossover steering that they said was so wonderful to the old style that has worked good for so many years.:buttkick:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well after the alignment i took it around town for awhile and i really didnt know my old stuff was wore out so bad!!! it makes a world of difference to have tight steering again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
What a coincedence, I just had the "death wobble" yesterday on my morning drive to work. Mine is an 07 2500 like yours but i only have 16843 miles on mine. It shook so damn bad once i got up to 65-70 that i couldnt control it and had to mash on the brakes to get it stopped and limp to the shoulder. I took it in to the dealership and they said my Tie Rod ends on both sides were shot as well as my steering dampner (for which there is a recall by the way Recall # 09E001000).

I found it hard to believe that only after less than 17,000 miles this stuff would be shot. I dont off-road my truck it is my daily driver and used all summer to tow my 5th wheel for camping. Well they replaced my Tie rod bar (both ends also) steering damper and pitman arm as well as all associated hardware, nuts, bolts etc.. and the shake is gone and the steering feels much tighter.

I know our roads up here in alaska are more pothole than pavement but im still baffled this stuff wore out so fast.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts