Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1989 Dodge 350 2-wheel drive diesel dually that I salvaged from a farmer's field. I have an interference between the bottom front knuckle bolt and the lower arm as pictured. This truck has been rode hard and put away wet! I've got most everything else repaired except for this interference problem. Any ideas of what is wrong? The right side has the same problem but not as bad. Per picture #1, the bottom nut on the bottom middle of the picture is shown with the steering wheel turned to the left. As the steering comes to straight ahead, the nut interferes with the bottom frame where you see the shiny portion. Picture # 5 is not as clear but is shows the interference between the nut and lower banana frame. Picture #6 shows a modification that the farmer made on both struts (I assume to lessen steering travel).

The farmer had two or three other 80s Dodge trucks laying around and he could have borrowed parts from one of the others to fix the 89.

View attachment 938787 View attachment 938788 View attachment 938789 View attachment 938790 View attachment 938791 View attachment 938792 View attachment 938794 View attachment 938788
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Bottle Rim Auto part Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Auto part Tints and shades Rim Automotive lighting
Tints and shades Automotive lighting Rim Vehicle door Auto part
Watch Automotive lighting Fluid Wood Gas
Hand tool Tool Wood Bumper Metal

·
Super Moderator
24,345 Posts
I couldn't open your pictures.

·
Super Moderator
24,345 Posts
The last picture has a block welded to it for some reason. The other pictures I can't tell what your trying to show.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Something's weird there. Will have a look at my 2wd this afternoon.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
On older Mopar cars, the bolt goes in from the back and nutsxare under the rotor.

U2, can you compare how your steering arms are installed to Rovin. I think his might be upside down. Not sure how that can work with the ball joint stud but?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Checked two D250s here (cummins trucks)... bolt is the same way. No witness marks of either contacting the arm.

I would say something is up with the steering stops, seeing as how the end of the rod has material welded on. That's assuming the balljoint itself isn't worn out...

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system

Reactions: StealthDiesel

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The last picture has a block welded to it for some reason. The other pictures I can't tell what your trying to show.
That block was added on by the previous owner. I assume it was done to limit the turning ability. The problem that I have is the nut on the knuckle interferes with the bottom banana frame. It's really difficult to describe my problem and just about impossible to get a good picture of it! Sorry!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Checked two D250s here (cummins trucks)... bolt is the same way. No witness marks of either contacting the arm.

I would say something is up with the steering stops, seeing as how the end of the rod has material welded on. That's assuming the balljoint itself isn't worn out...

View attachment 938827 View attachment 938828
The ball joint is in good shape, but I definitely don't have as much clearance as you show in your pictures.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On older Mopar cars, the bolt goes in from the back and nutsxare under the rotor.

U2, can you compare how your steering arms are installed to Rovin. I think his might be upside down. Not sure how that can work with the ball joint stud but?
U2 sent some pictures - I don't think mine are upside down - they look similar to u2s but not with the clearance he has.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Here's another...
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

1 - 12 of 12 Posts