Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on a 5000 trip 3 weeks ago from Minnesota to California and parts in between. Drove thru Snow storm in the Rockies in CO. Truck drove like a Cadillac.

Here's what is done.

2012 Ram 2500 CCLB
3" Thuren Coils
Thuren upper/lower control arms
Thuren adjustable Track bar
Bilstien 5100
Titan 60 gal tank
Firestone ride rites
08 h2 wheels with kelly safari tsr 315 / 70 / 17

So on the way back I notice my frontend had a clunk. Ended up my jam nut loosened up on my track bar. Fixed that when I got home.

Took it for a 6hr drive round trip to St Paul to watch MN WILD play. On the way there it snowed and the roads were icy. I hit a patch of ice on a straight stretch and front end sorta slid causing me to correct it. So this continued the whole way there and back. Everytime I hit a patch of ice or rough road it did this.

Get home take it in to have alignment done, find out my Drivers side wheel bearing has play, as does my upper BJ. Pass upper and lower BJ has alot of play bearing starting to. So I replaced everything. I verified before I fixed it that everything was worn. Truck has 49,800 on it.

Take it in and again have it aligned. It still did the same thing as before. So I messed with some stuff and came to the conclusion that my gearbox has play, plus i notice a leak starting at adjustment nut on top.

Order a Redhead box since the new HD box from Chrysler is junk. Installed it, took it for a drive. It is better, but still has the same stuff going on. One thing I noticed is that the shop had adjust my lower Control arm cams so one was at 6 o clock, other was at 3. I had marked them prior to me install upper and lower control arms. So I moved them back to there original position. This helped more and helped with the steering wanting to return to center after turning.

I realize that it will be tight since my joints are all new.

I swapped my factory wheels back on thinking maybe, just maybe the tires broke a belt or had a sidewall issue.... nope, it remained the same.

I am at a loss of which way to go.... I've searched and searched for hrs, and pretty much replaced my whole frontend. There doesn't seem to be any play in the intermediate steering shaft or column. Its,had the N49 recall done, and everything looks good. The TR that comes down from pitman arm is good, other one has just a slight bit of play, but I've seen way worse steer better.

I've owned 3 2nd gens, and 2 4th gens so I'm no stranger to there steering issue. Usually from what I've replaced will resolve my issue. Thankfully I can do my own work and have connections to buy parts at discounted rates.

The shop i take my vehicles to normally for an alignment cant align it cause there rack isnt long enough for a crew cab long box.

Any input on this will greatly be appreciated!!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I retorqued the bolts 2xs now..... thing that gets me is I installed the tank before I left and it was just fine from MN to CA to AZ until I hit Omaha NE is where it started to become a pita to steer. I just figured after 9 days and 94 hrs of being in it, I was just tired.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I find whenever I fill my 52 gallon tank full it steers like complete like you describe. Keep it only half full unless I'm road tripping
I kept mine pretty much full the whole trip. It's wierd.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just noticed my Thuren upper and lower control arms are really easy to twist back and forth... could that be my issue? I have roughly 5200 miles on those.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just installed them the middle of January. I hope there not shot.

·
Registered
164 Posts
A guy on CF just had a similar issue. The play in his steering was under the dash where one steering shaft couples to another. There is a pin that holds the two shafts together that can have a lot of play in it. Wiggle your wheel back and forth and have a look at the joint under the dash...

·
Registered
32 Posts
A guy on CF just had a similar issue. The play in his steering was under the dash where one steering shaft couples to another. There is a pin that holds the two shafts together that can have a lot of play in it. Wiggle your wheel back and forth and have a look at the joint under the dash...
This...

I had some similar issues that you are describing with my 2012. Ended up replacing the steering shaft from the fire wall to the steering wheel. Problem solved. Basically it had worn out and had slop in the system. Not saying this is whats going on with yours, I would have a mechanic look at it though

·
TPMS adjustment guy
1,559 Posts
You still have the factory drag link? They can be junk .. flimsy and possibly made of swiss cheese :hehe: I went thru 2 before finally upgrading to the Synergy HD Steering Kit

·
Registered
349 Posts
I am still battling mine too, I need to take it in to have an alignment again, everything was within book specs but after reading on here and talking to Carli and whats on Thuren page the book and what works are 2 different things https://www.thurenfabrication.com/tech/alignment-and-handling.html

May want to find out what specs they are setting it too.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've used the same alignment guy since 2001... he owns a Ram and knows the problems they have with steering. We've tried multiple settings and only thing that changed was when we changed caster.... just made the steering heavier so we returned it to were it was.

Draglink doesn't show any movement and was replace along with TR when they did the N49 recall.

I'm gonna put my original UCA/LCA on and see if it changes... sucks cause its -8° here and my shop has no heat.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You still have the factory drag link? They can be junk .. flimsy and possibly made of swiss cheese :hehe: I went thru 2 before finally upgrading to the Synergy HD Steering Kit

I just dumped $2500 into the frontend.... with 5200 miles on this stuff, I should have to spend another $700+.

My 2011 had everything as stated done and only thing I ever had to replace was the track bar hiem joint.

·
TPMS adjustment guy
1,559 Posts
I agree but mine never steered well after the N49 recall. I tried several things including the Redhead steering box and it finally feels good after installing the Synergy kit. I think the OE drag link can literally flex and warp from the weight in the front end of these trucks. When I would adjust the coupler to center the steering wheel I could feel the arch of the drag link when it should be straight.

·
Cummins Freak
3,551 Posts
I think the synergy kit is probably a good investment since the factory steering on these trucks are junk!!! Will be my next upgrade though right now my truck drives great!!! IMO the Free spin hubs make a big difference on how these trucks drive!!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Did this and it didn't change. I guess the synergy draglink will be next.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update..... I've added a steering gear box brace and put a new draglink in.... the tierods ends pop up and down when I turn the wheel. Still have the steering issue as described. I noticed my swaybar end links are bent so I'm replacing them. I messed with my caster, was set at 12. Moved to 1, 130, and 2. Steering was better at 130 and 2, but at 2, I noticed my u joint at my pinion is leaking grease so I backed it to 1pm. I'm thinking I may need to clock my transfer case and put them at 3 and 9....

·
Cummins Freak
3,551 Posts
You should not have to clock your transfer Case with a 3" inch lift!!! and 1 or 1:30 should be about right!!! What symptoms do you have at those settings???

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Basically I can't keep the truck from bouncing all over the damn road... I'm at wits end with thus thing.... I've changed tires, had 3 different alignments. Best results were having caster adjusters at 2pm and 10am... but I noticed my front u joint starting to leak grease and was afraid I'd gave a problem there so I put it back to 1pm, 11am.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just drove it in a down pour. ... Damn right scary to drive this thing. It follows every friggin crack, line, I'm fighting to keep it on the damn road.

I'm pulling my hair out. Drives like it's on ice skates....darts back and forth.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.