Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...Replaced the hydroboost on my truck cuz I thought that was my problem. I had power steering fluid pushing out around the cap on my power steering pump. The fluid doesn't seem to be pushing out anymore but my steering still whines when I turn and gets stiff every now and again. It has been a week so I would think it would be bleed off by now. What should I look at next? The pump itself? Also how many of you have put an aftermarket steering box on your truck and do you like it and is it a major improvment? I am going to be replacing my ball joints on both sides and I have a tie rod end that is pretty bad. I am going to see how my steering does after that and then I might put on a new box and a brace. Any information and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
My truck does the same thing, just without fluid running out. At times it acts like there is no power steering at all, and now there is play in the shaft going in the box. I was looking for some tips as well when I clicked on your post. Guess we'll see.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine has play in the shaft going to the box as well. So aggrivating I just want my truck to handle like it used to.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Had to drive to Sabetha KS this week for work in the straight line winds. I was worn out by the time i got there 6 hours later trying to compensate. Tested the rumble strips on the highway so I guess I did a civil service for the state.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I have the same problems, I looked into it and have been told its the knuckles in the shaft. There is a steering shaft out there, i forget where i seen it or who makes it, but they run around 240.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to kansas in a couple weeks to turkey hunt which will be about a 9 hour trip for me so I will be beat as well! Hopefully the ball joints and tie rod will help. Got one side done and one side partially tore apart before calling it quits for the night.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I replaced half my front end components- track bar, rod ends, shocks... and installed a steering box stabilizer by DT Pro Fab. The handles like my wifes Audi!! Unbelievable, before I had to have the wheel turned at about 10 o'clock to make it drive straight, Tiring!!! BD Diesel also make one. Let me know, I can get you a good price on one.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
I've changed out the steering box, put on a Borgeson steering shaft, and a BD stabilizer and mine still has about 2-3" play in it at the steering wheel. And amazingly the play is still before the steering box...so you've got me as to what to do to get these things to stop wandering..but I'm still looking for the answer too, so if you find it PLEASE let me know! And good luck!!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Reply to first two posts;

I found a goof up in the pressure relief on a power steering pump I put on my truck that gave similar symptoms and what it was was the pressure relief piston had one edge not chamfered. I think the unchamfered edge was hanging up in the bore and randomly neutering my steering assist and brakes:shock: The piston is behind the pressure line at the back of the box, and comes out fairly easily with a magnet probe after you take the pressure line off and the end of the nut assembly under the pressure line. Having a hard time describing it, but if you look it'll make sense. It didn't puke oil, though. Usually puking oil is from gas getting in the system. Like from the boost unit gas escaping or air in the system working out. Or a low pressure line air leak. when bleeding the system, it may foam up a couple times and take a few shutdown/cooldowns to work most the air out of the system.

I put a light chamfer on the offending edge (lathe operation) of the piston and have since never had it happen again. Thank GOD, it was scary a couple times.

If your brakes still work but it won't steer, that's a different issue, but if the steering AND brake assist fail at the same time, I'd be suspicious of the piston.

PS here's a summary of everything I learned along the way trying to get my work truck to turn 35's http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/general-diesel-discussion/95650-power-steering-writeup-review-major-tech.html?highlight=steering+tech and my AGR steering box was a rebuildable core at best. Weenie little sector shaft seal snap ring pushed out and I lost steering and brakes and dumped all my fluid on the side of the road. Flatbed trip home, and when I went to tap the box, found ALL the sector shaft bearings were garbage. Pissant little shell bearings instead of roller bearings. Wrong type of bearing for the application, and they had all eaten the bottom of the shell off in only 10k miles. GARBAGE. Deathtrap.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the ball joints and the tie rod taken care of and now my truck handles a little better. Had it aligned today and they told me it needs a trac bar pretty bad. I didn't see that much movement in it but everything else looked so bad so it might be worse than I thought. So I bought a moog to put on before I go to kansas next week. I hope that helps even more but time will tell. Don't know when I am going to get to it. So far I am sittin at $610 invested in the front end and might have to do one more tie rod after I get this trac bar taken care of. I'll keep everyone posted but believe several of you have already taken this step. Steering is still whining but I need to check the fluid level again. I was hopin it would quit after a while since I replaced the booster. So anyway its not where I want it yet but it is closer.

·
Registered
615 Posts
$610 nice haha i wish thats all i had invested. But i do think i found a new buddy in totalloser. That sounds like the problem i'm having, a day late and $100 dealership fee later. But when i get it back ill be tearing it down and fixing that problem.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah...Luckily I have a friend that is a diesel mech with all of the tools you can imagine. So labor hasn't cost me too much its just the parts mainly. Can't wait to get that track bar on and see if it helps.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well now the track bar is on and it still has some play in it. I think the next step is going to be a steering box and stabilizer. Gonna wait on that for a bit though cuz I am trying to get my doors taken care of that are trying to rust out on me. You all think that is what I should try next or should I look elsewhere?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
There are a few things that really help, and the steering box stabilizer (brace) is one of them. The vast majority of folks who pick one up are absolutely stoked with the difference it makes in handling. I suspect big tires, and lifts make it a bigger deal, but I have been nothing but happy with putting mine on.

Nothing improves handling better than replacing worn out parts tho IMO! :p Nothin' like havin' someone wiggle the wheel while you lay the eyeballs on the linkages. A look at a worn out track rod bushing while someone is swinging the wheel back and forth can make you a believer! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts