Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine has been leaking and the dealer said it needs replaced. How hard is this to do?

·
Registered
224 Posts
They aren't bad to do, there is a write up here on the board if you need it. I prefer to get gears from RedHead in Seattle

·
Registered
473 Posts
I just did mine. Listen very close do not allow steering wheel to move once the box and steering shaft are seperated! I did wich broke the clock spring wich is $100!

Besides that the fluid lines are kinda of a pain, but i have limited tools. Also my pitman arm broke the cast puller I bought from Harbor Freight, Instead of buying the good puller just take it to alocal shop and ask them to do it for you. my guy charged me $10.

Just don't let the steering wheel move and bleed the system for air.

Scale 1-10 I would say 4 10 being a PITA! I found mine for $265 plus tax and $150 core

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
stock one from local auto parts will work just as good and real cheap with yours in return as a core, we did one on my buddies thousands of miles ago no problems yet took less then a hour

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome. Dealership wanted $800 for the gearbox plus labor. I'll read the write up. Thanks guys

·
Registered
332 Posts
I ties my steering wheel in place while I did the change out, DONT let it move!

·
Registered
501 Posts
you can get one from napa for like 250 i believe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts